Thread: What Do Property Surveyors Look For?

Thanks

Default What Do Property Surveyors Look For?

... Apart from properties lol.

We're re-mortgaging and the lender is sending a surveyor to look over our property. We should be fine as the value has gone up but I wondered if anybody has had experience of surveyors and how in-depth they scrutinise your property?

My missus is treating it as if The Queen is paying us a visit
    New! ASUS P8Z-68 V-Pro, i5-2500k, Mushkin 120gb SSD, Samsung 1tb HDD, GTX 460 1gb, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (4x4), Asus Xonar DG, Corsair H50, Win 7 Home 64.

Ladies! If a man says he'll fix something - he will. He doesn't need reminding about it every six months, OK?

Thanks

Depends on if it is a full survey or not - if it is not a full survey then it should just be a cursory look over the general condition of the building, looking for settling/subsidence, cracks in walls, where changes have been made, condition of window frames, guttering, downpipes etc - that sort of thing. Full surveys are the same but with more detail and closer inspections taking more time.
    720BE; GA MA790FXT-UD5P; 8Gb Mushkin silver; Sapphire 6950 (unlocked to 6970); TX850; 120Gb Mushkin Chronos; 8Tb HDD; 24" Ilyama Prolite; SteelSeries Ikari Laser; Saitek Eclipse II; FD Define XL

Thanks

Thanks aspdend. Sounds like we'll be OK then - after I've shifted some boxes in the garage to hide an iccle damp patch in a corner, that is!
    New! ASUS P8Z-68 V-Pro, i5-2500k, Mushkin 120gb SSD, Samsung 1tb HDD, GTX 460 1gb, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (4x4), Asus Xonar DG, Corsair H50, Win 7 Home 64.

Ladies! If a man says he'll fix something - he will. He doesn't need reminding about it every six months, OK?

Thanks

why what you hiding lol
    Is my new Kingston flash drive on drugs?

i

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 913 Posts

What Do Property Surveyors Look For.

mainly your money

between thoughts
    Thanks

Depends on the surveyor, but a general thing to do is be ready for them to check everything.

Military Grade Tester DoubleTop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,293 Posts

three kinds of report iirc,

A mortgage report which to be very honest the surveyor doesn't even need to enter your house. This type of survey is all based on the asset that is the house, does the price being paid reflect the worth of the property should you default and the bank takes the house.

Homebuyers report, as above for the bank, but also a little bit of looking under the skin of the house for potential problems. This may included comments such as "roof is original" or "signs of manageable damp", possibly a quick peek at the fuse box as well and pretty much all the things in a house that will surprise you once you've moved in.

Structural survey, the man with a drill come in, measures damp levels in brickwork, takes up carpet to view direction of floorboards and supporting walls with reference to any internal layout changes. May also have a look at the sewerage if it's shared and runs across your property. This is the "daddy" of surveys, looking at all things that to me and you would be "things to get around to doing one day", lining chimneys, improving the energy efficiency rating.

Hope this helps

DT.
    Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
    Forum Guidelines here

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleTop For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Does help, thanks DT From what they've said and what you have said it sounds like it's the first option. Even if they do find something erroneous, worst case - it seems from reading up - is they'll recommend remedial works are done within a certain timeframe and I suspect a little damp corner in a garage on an exterior wall is something they come across fairly often. It's not as if the doors won't fit in their frames anymore due to subsidence or anything.

*goes to open and close every door in the house repeatedly*

Thanks

they are useless, they cant even lift up your floorboards...half the problems will be under there. if there is no ladder into the roof half of them dont go up. they might tell you the thickness of your roof insulation though...worth it for the money? :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waba View Post
    they are useless, they cant even lift up your floorboards...half the problems will be under there. if there is no ladder into the roof half of them dont go up. they might tell you the thickness of your roof insulation though...worth it for the money? :/
    I'll let you know how good he is, waba. We have to endure this rigmarole as it's a stipulation of the remortgage.

I'm not overly concerned tbh. We're quite lucky in so much as we inherited another property which we sold, and sold our previous house at profit 8 years ago and bought where we are now with only a 40% mortgage against the value of the purchase price of the property (lovely uninterrupted panoramic beach views ) I've done my homework - there is a website where you can see what properties sold for around you in the last few years and from that I can tell they've gone up about 50K. We're doing this as my wife is re-training so is effectively a student which was always the long term plan and we knew we'd lose her income for a few years but we could comfortably release equity from the property - if we bought the right place. Location, location, location as they say

Thanks

well, good luck with it all the mortgage companies always have it as a stipulation, i find it so funny though as they basically tell the mortgage company "yes, there is a house there". makes me think of solicitor fees...

Thanks

Money for old rope eh? Keeps someone in a job though I suppose

Thanks

Most surveys are not worth the paper they are written on; I had THREE surveys done on my house before buying, and not one of them spotted the rampant woodworm or wet-rot in the dining room.

When I say rampant, I went to remove a skirting board and it fell to pieces, the paint was the only thing holding it together. When I checked, you could push you fingers into it like it was a sponge.
    Married!!! despite every complaint they made about my paperwork, they finally gave in and issued our Red Books. (UK Consulate )