Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Washing Machine Caught fire!

Thanks

Default My Washing Machine Caught fire!

Anyone know what this can be? There was water on the floor, smoke started coming out of it.

I panicked and tried to yank it from under the kitchen top and pulled out the mains cable whilst try to get it out. At first I couldnt get it to switch off so I turned off the mains. My house stank of smoke for several hours after. This was on saturday evening.

Survives the Apocalypse Broadsword1976's Avatar
    Thanks

Fairly serious motor in a washing machine I guess...I'd imagine it burnt out...Good job you were about tho' eh?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5.AMD 1055T @3.5Ghz. 8Gb Mushkin Redline, MSI 6850OC, 120Gb Mushkin Chronos + 256Gb Crucial M4 + 2x2Tb F3 Spinpoint Eco-Greens + 1x 3Tb Seagate. Antec 900 Watt PSU . Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Desire Owners Club Owner #7

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword1976 View Post
    Fairly serious motor in a washing machine I guess...I'd imagine it burnt out...Good job you were about tho' eh?
    we very often go out after turning it on. i dont think we will ever do that again.

Thanks

im only 26 years old and i been throu about 12 washers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    im only 26 years old and i been throu about 12 washers
    did any of them catch fire? did you not think of getting them repaired or was that too costly?

12 washers? sorry but i find that slightly amusing.

Thanks

Is it a washer/dryer?? These go up quite often if you dont open them and inspect for fluff build up inside once every year or so.
    Small amounts of fluff always get through the filter, and when the filter gets a couple of years old it may develop small cracks, which let even more fluff through; or get displaced slightly, which lets a LOT of fluff through.
    I had one go up while I was testing it, so got the fire out quickly; when I opened it there was a 2" thick wad of fluff built up inside that was just touching the heater element

(Dont believe me?? Ask a fireman)
    Married!!! despite every complaint they made about my paperwork, they finally gave in and issued our Red Books. (UK Consulate )

Thanks

Well i have had this problem with smoking washers but my girlfriends dad does refrigeration and always manages to fix them but if not be brings us a new one the next day he gets them really cheap and has a warehouse full of them

http://regener8.org.uk/ i made him this website when i first started web design lol pretty crap

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
    Is it a washer/dryer?? These go up quite often if you dont open them and inspect for fluff build up inside once every year or so.
    Small amounts of fluff always get through the filter, and when the filter gets a couple of years old it may develop small cracks, which let even more fluff through; or get displaced slightly, which lets a LOT of fluff through.
    I had one go up while I was testing it, so got the fire out quickly; when I opened it there was a 2" thick wad of fluff built up inside that was just touching the heater element

(Dont believe me?? Ask a fireman)
    its not a combo just a washing machine

Thanks

Knew somebody who had that, if it was not for the quick thinking of her other half could have burnt the whole house down and them with it as it was left un-attended so his quick actions and the quick response of the fire-brigade saved the day to a degree.

I believe only the utility room area badly burn't out... but was so close to being something far more devastating.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,836 Times in 1,807 Posts

Fascinating and gripping stuff this.

Would read again.
    Last edited by Snakedoc; 30-05-11 at 12:13.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakedoc For This Useful Post:

Thanks

sounds like a commone problem then. anyone know how to fix it to save my landlady a few quid?

Thanks

I've swapped out broken pumps for new ones before now, never tried replacing the main motor though (never had one die)... Shouldn't be too dificult as long as you don't have to remove the whole drum assembly. Just make sure you disconnect from the mains and watch your back, the concrete weights that hold them in place tend to be heavy

Also keep a note of where everything goes, so you can put it all back together and feign ignorance when you're telling your landlady it's broken.

Don't tell her you tried fixing it (unless she's asked you to obviously)
    "I want you to move your border away from my troops" - Vladimir Putin.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FunkY For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The motor is usually mounted independently of the drum, so no need to touch it, ditto the concrete blocks.

It is fairly easy to remove once you have the machine upside down; just make sure you get the belt aligned and tensioned.

BUT!

Before you do that, you need to discover why it went up in flames and if the motor is indeed the problem.

As I mentioned above, turning the machine upside down is often the best way to get access; have a good look to see if you can spot any damaged areas, and any place the water might be coming from. I suspect the smoke was from melting plastic, so look for a melted plastic water pipe, whatever was over heating will not be far away.

(I used to buy and repair scrap washers for extra income)
    Married!!! despite every complaint they made about my paperwork, they finally gave in and issued our Red Books. (UK Consulate )

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GentleGiant For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i told my landlady i might have a look but its not my thingand that i do computers not washing machines. Shes a nice lady and very generous, not the stereotypical landlord/lady.

Im feeling terribly lazy atm prob cos i have a cold but will get up later to look to see what part got burnt.

I think you are prob right gentlegiant, whatever caught fire could have melted the water pipe. the water prob put out the fire as well as it stopped burning. i did swich off the mains as well.

Thanks

Assuming you do find the problem, dont try to turn anything on until you are certain you have dried it out thoroughly, the logic boards can cost MORE than a whole machine to replace, (got quoted 299 + P&P for a replacement Z****i logic board for a 300 machine)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to GentleGiant For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast