Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confused by Wi-Fi extenders and Powerlines

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Or maybe you were very lucky once
    Haha! Quite possible

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    The only time it is almost guaranteed to cause problems is when it's a surge protected extension.
    Good point. I should have added that warning. I use bog-standard power strips.
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
    Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

sponsors of 12-11-13-gate omega's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,073 Posts

I've got an HH6 ("Smart Hub" right?) and it does a cracking job, initially I thought it was poo and invested in some powerline adapters, but it was my own fault (dodgy wifi drivers on the PC).

Now my main rig is connected by wifi, with a TPlink Archer T9E AC1900, and at opposite ends of the house, the connection is as stable as my ethernet used to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler
    He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigIan88 View Post
    turn off that sexy nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by Salad Soup
    turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to omega For This Useful Post:

Thanks

They're the best ISP-provided solution out there at the moment, in my opinion. Obviously, you'll get more features if you upgrade but the performance out of the box is very good.

Thanks

I think a lot of the problem comes from poor quality wireless adapters in devices, rather than the router or hub itself.

You get what you pay for, as with all things. A cheap dongle or a basic no-name internal card will struggle to find a signal from even the best router.
    turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Transatlantic Dutchman TheMadDutchDude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 924 Posts

The lack of signal, in my experience, was across all wireless devices. Xbox One consoles, phones, tablets, laptops, and even a wireless dongle on my dad's PC from GIGABYTE with its massive antenna. It was just **** poor. Maybe the construction of the house has something to do with it, but the walls are mostly plaster board and soft as hell.
    Gamer: ASUS X99-Deluxe/U3.1 | Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | 2x ASUS STRIX RX 480 8GB | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 1kW | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG | Custom CPU Water Cooling | Win 10 Home | Dell U2417H @ 75Hz | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920
    Ultrabook: ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Thanks

Weird, now that I'm renting I've got literally nothing plugged in via ethernet, so I've got the PC upstairs, laptop, tablet, phone, Shield TV, PS4, PS3, Wii U, and two Hue lamps, all wireless and all running flawlessly :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
    The lack of signal, in my experience, was across all wireless devices. Xbox One consoles, phones, tablets, laptops, and even a wireless dongle on my dad's PC from GIGABYTE with its massive antenna. It was just **** poor. Maybe the construction of the house has something to do with it, but the walls are mostly plaster board and soft as hell.
    Did you check the neighbours WiFi band usage and power output with an Android phone? Also , if you had it installed in the conservatory (outside your house effectively) as you said, then you're not going to get a great signal inside when it has to travel through a foot of brick and insulation before any other internal stud walls. Insulation doesn't just insulate against head/cold, it's pretty good at RF too..

Transatlantic Dutchman TheMadDutchDude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 924 Posts

I did, yeah. I went on to the least used channel in the area, which didn't help matters.

Perhaps the insulation in the house is pretty decent... it does stay warm in the winter.
    Gamer: ASUS X99-Deluxe/U3.1 | Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | 2x ASUS STRIX RX 480 8GB | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 1kW | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG | Custom CPU Water Cooling | Win 10 Home | Dell U2417H @ 75Hz | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920
    Ultrabook: ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Thanks

If you have the option then 110% recommend you put in an Ethernet cable as its actually designed to carry a data signal reliably.

As for keeping the same SSID, some devices have difficulties switching to stronger signal and will stay on a particular WAP even if there is a stronger signal available.

And use 5Ghz where possible, it less crowded.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,012 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michaelkenward View Post
    Another issue with the HH5 is that it forces you to combine 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi into a single SSID.
    It defaults to the using the same SSID for both, you can change it though... Not that there's much point, I wholeheartedly agree it is a piece of junk
    Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true - HS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12