Thread: best ram

Thanks

Default best ram

what is the best ram i can get for my 990fxa-ud3 motherboard ? got two vengeance 2 x 4 gb ddr3. would it be worth upgrading too 16 gb or 32 gb ram? my system is a 64bit

Thanks

Do you know what speed and voltage your current RAM is?

Say 1600mhz 1.5v for example?

I would probably buy 2 more of the same (or same spec) and double up so you have 16GB in total, all 4 RAM slots used up.
    If you really really really really love me. You'd never make me hang out with your family. Your mum sucks and your dad really hates me. When I try to borrow money he berates me. Somehow he thinks that I'm too old for you, 'cause you're nineteen and I'm fifty two.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,928 Times in 2,310 Posts

amd do best with low latency ram.

as for how much you need it depends on what you do. for gaming you want more that double your gpu has

2x4 or 2x8 is around the sweet spot today but what's best for you boils down to what is best for your needs

ddr3 is in decline as demand falls off, so getting good sticks is not as easy

i think others are better suited to say where the sweet spot is for amd ram speeds. i don't know, sorry.
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 792 Posts

I'm running this on my Gigabyte 990fxa ud3. Works, lifetime warranty... Can't fault it. Leaves room for another 16gb if you find you need to upgrade to 32 at some point in the future, whereas 4gb sticks would tie you to 16gb max.
    Last edited by FunkY; 20-03-17 at 22:02.
    Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true - HS.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 792 Posts

I'm not kidding when I say that this is the best RAM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I3R0K3N7FEET For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I seem to recall Linus did a 3-way test on RAM and it's effect on gaming performance. 8, 16 & 32GB sets were used and the sweet spot was 16GB. It offered the same performance as 32GB in every game, losing out slightly in video/picture rendering tests (to be expected) but the 8GB kit was consistently performing ~5% slower in every test, clearly being maxed out. The speed of the RAM had much less impact than total capacity.

I know RAM price is up a little at the moment, but I'd rather go for a 2x8GB kit of slower RAM than a 2x4GB kit of faster stuff.

Thanks

That why i said just double up on what he's already got, seems the most economical option.
    If you really really really really love me. You'd never make me hang out with your family. Your mum sucks and your dad really hates me. When I try to borrow money he berates me. Somehow he thinks that I'm too old for you, 'cause you're nineteen and I'm fifty two.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BUDFORCE View Post
    That why i said just double up on what he's already got, seems the most economical option.
    Best answer. I just did that.

I even managed to track down exactly the same part numbers for another 8GB (2X4GB) of Corsair DRAM.

Puzzlingly, though, what turned up was not the same as I had installed. Same specs, but didn't look the same. Works OK though.

Paid 62.49 (+ VAT) in 2011, 48.50 (+ VAT) this time around.
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
    Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT