Thread: Windows 10 license

Thanks

Question Windows 10 license

Hi all,

I asked a similar question on the MS forum but got a bit confused.

When I built my last system I had a Windows 7 Retail copy and then upgraded to Windows 10 when it was free.

That PC has died and I will rebuild with the same hard drives which are still fine....

If the setup doesnt recognise Windows straight away (Plus I want to re start with a new copy as it will have the wrong drivers etc) how do I get Windows 10 back without a product key as I merely upgraded from Windows 7?

Can I use Windows 10 install media and then my Windows 7 key or do I need to call MS etc?
    Intel i5 3570K | MSI Z77 GD65 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black LP RAM | Palit 450GTS 1GB | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 120GB Mushkin SSD | be quiet! 680W PSU | Antec 300 Case

Thanks
    Thanked 3,704 Times in 2,410 Posts

Your windows 7 key was tied to the install of windows 10 on the other machine. You *may* be able to reinstall 7 but it probably wont activate.The windows 10 licence is tied to the hardware configuration of the old machine and cannot be moved to the new.

However, if you have a legitimate Windows 7+ key and also have special learning requirements or users of the PC do, then you can still upgrade to 10 by using the assistive technology update.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/acce...ndows10upgrade
    My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Transatlantic Dutchman TheMadDutchDude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 942 Posts

It definitely can be moved over. It's just against the EULA.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ ** GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 (coming) | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB DDR4-3200 C14 | 2x ASUS STRIX RX480 | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Thanks
    Thanked 3,238 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Your windows 7 key was tied to the install of windows 10 on the other machine. You *may* be able to reinstall 7 but it probably wont activate.The windows 10 licence is tied to the hardware configuration of the old machine and cannot be moved to the new.

However, if you have a legitimate Windows 7+ key and also have special learning requirements or users of the PC do, then you can still upgrade to 10 by using the assistive technology update.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/acce...ndows10upgrade
    I've said this many times over the last few days.

The free upgrade activation servers still work.

Install and activate windows 7.

Upgrade using the win 10 install media, as you have done in the past.

Don't update anything during the install process.

When windows 10 is installed, activate as normal.

Then do what you want with it.

Quote Originally Posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron For This Useful Post: