Thread: LED strip lights - mains powered

Thanks

Question LED strip lights - mains powered

I've been doing a bit of idle thinking about LED lighting in my new full tower case. Some of the PC specific kits seem a bit overpriced (especially those in the PC Gamer roundup), so I was wondering if it was feasible to use a mains powered kit (a quick Google found this LED strip kit)? It's sort of overkill and I'd need to cut a hole and grommet it to get the power cable into the case, but the extra length would allow for cool effects . I'm not too worried about individually addressable bulbs - I find the full breathing effect to be the most pleasing.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

£35, and you think the PC specific kits are overpriced...

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...se+Accessories

As for cutting a hole and adding a gromet to your case, look at the back of it first. Many cases come with grometted holes for external liquid cooling solutions that you could use, or depending on the size of the lights you might just be able to thread them through a ventilation hole... You're better off with an internal solution though.
    Just when I think you couldn’t possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this… and totally redeem yourself

Thanks

Those ones you linked look like they would be way too bright (assuming they are being honest about their brightness), it says 60 LEDs per meter, 5 meters long and 20 lumens per chip, that would make it about 6000 lumens compared to around 1600 lumens for an old 100w incandescent lightbulb.

You can get some pretty cheap molex or usb powered ones online and just run them off internal power or through a gromet to plug into the usb power on the back of the motherboard.

Thanks

Hmm if i were to run mains led lights inside my case i would make sure they are high quality.
    If you really really really really love me. You'd never make me hang out with your family. Your mum sucks and your dad really hates me. When I try to borrow money he berates me. Somehow he thinks that I'm too old for you, 'cause you're nineteen and I'm fifty two.

sponsors of 12-11-13-gate omega's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,066 Posts

NZXT Hue is about £25 and is designed to run off molex, with a 5.25" bay controller.
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler
    He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigIan88 View Post
    turn off that sexy nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by Salad Soup
    turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Thanks

There is absolutely no way you're fitting a 5 metre strip inside a PC case without it looking like something that should be on the back of a float in Blackpool Illuminations. It'll look absolutely ridiculous. A 1x metre strip is more than enough.