Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Formula 1 2017

Thanks
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,171 Posts

Well, my skyQ ultra HD failed to record. Came to watch it and it started with the podium.
    Know the result, saw none of the race. Gah.
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler View Post
    the trails is where life flows best
    Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cruciate For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The want for UHD is strong but so many people seem to have issues with it, I'm forcing myself to wait a bit longer. I've had the 4K HDR tv for nearly a year already too.

WRT the race, it wasn't memorable. Lewis lost out to the overcut (yes, not undercut) to Seb after LH came out in traffic behind Verstappen and Seb just pulled and maintained a gap. Ferrari are amazing on their tyres and don't seem to suffer much deg in dirty air. Can't say the same for Merc this year. Should be season of hard fought wins, finally!!
    Last edited by Bing; 1 Day Ago at 12:03.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 1,039 Posts

I've always wondered why some teams, especially mid range teams, don't design their cars to run behind another car.

if you do get to clear air it should still handle well i would have thought.
    I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Thanks

A question for Adrian Newey I should think. I'm no aerodynamicist, but I would guess that the vortices that come off each car will be different so being in the dirty air of different teams would be unique whereas clean air, where you'd be fastest is a constant so you design for that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,171 Posts

Not a Lewis fan. I think he moans too much and forces the team into doing things that might not be for the best. Today was an example.

Also, the tyres you set your fastest quali 2 time on are the ones you start the race with, unless there's a rule change I didn't know about.
    Lewis' ONLY quali 2 lap was on a set of used ultras.
    So he started the race on 6 lap old tyres. Everyone else started on 3 lap old tyres.

Where's the sense in that?
    He saved a set of ultras in a race which was going to be a one stop, so wasn't going to need them.

Or was there that much arrogance at Mercedes that they didn't think it would matter?
    the trails is where life flows best
    Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Thanks

not a great race, but then not the best track for action generally.
    "overcut" still sounds like something horrific that happens to a Jewish kid...

worrying thing for Merc after that one I reckon is that it looked like Ferrari may have had some pace to spare imo

also seemed to be obvious how Haas ended up so far up the grid; they cranked everything up and cooked the engines

reserving judgment mostly until we get to a proper circuit where real comparisons can be made, but hopeful for a competitive season

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruciate View Post
    Also, the tyres you set your fastest quali 2 time on are the ones you start the race with, unless there's a rule change I didn't know about.
    Lewis' ONLY quali 2 lap was on a set of used ultras.
    So he started the race on 6 lap old tyres. Everyone else started on 3 lap old tyres.
    No, that's wrong bud. The graphic on the screen was wrong and it was confirmed by Ted in pit lane that he did the quali lap on fresh ultras.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,173 Times in 2,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Yeah I suspect it'll be more mixed up. However, not withstanding crashes/failures, they are now so reliant on aero the order in which they get to the first corner will be the order at the first set of pit stops. And the order at the end of the last set of stops will be the finishing order.

I wasn't so far off...

Quote Originally Posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aaron For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Never really been an overtaking circuit though, has Melbourne. China should be a good'un!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bing View Post
    Never really been an overtaking circuit though, has Melbourne. China should be a good'un!
    no it hasn't, but still a worry that LH on much newer stickier rubber, in a faster car, couldn't get anywhere near close enough to the back of MV to even contemplate trying to get past

Thanks

See, I think he could and he did a couple of times, but was wary that running in his dirty air would deg his tyres too much and possibly lead to another 22 secs through pit lane. Purely my opinion though.

I will say that the RBRs are slippery through the air compared to last year's package. They've made up for the lower BHP with great aero - because Adrian Newey... genius.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345