Thread: Our company has been cloned, what do we do?

Thanks

Default Our company has been cloned, what do we do?

Well sort of. They are not claiming to be us, but they have stolen pretty much every photo from our actual website (www.farol.co.uk) and our social media pages and then used them to create a spoof website with what we imagine is a fake company name to rip people off.

They have gone through the trouble of photo shopping their own fake company name onto literally everything where our own name would be; the building frontage, vehicles, clothing etc. They have even put pictures of a load of our staff with fake names against them! http://www.sam-cross-farming.com/

What do we do? Who do we report it to? And more importantly how do we get it taken down asap?
    Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 | Samsung Blu-Ray | BitFenix Spectre PRO LED Fans | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

Also known as Merlin 633Squadron's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe report it to FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) or your local Trading Standards office? FACT may have a better chance of getting the website taken down quickly.
    Creator of the Retr0bright Wiki - www.retr0bright.wikispaces.com and Admin at www.amibay.com - the retro computer trading forum - and Bigian88's Dad.....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 1,542 Posts

The site is Russian, so good luck.

Looks like they've nicked employee photos from other places as well: http://dom-rol.pl/pl/kontakt https://www.jaybeeplant.co.uk/team/

Thanks
    Thanked 7,192 Times in 4,766 Posts

I've seen many fraud websites, but never one with photoshop calibre on the trucks etc like that.

Have you called the number, who answers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I want those sweet cherries

Thanks

I have encountered a similar issue. I have my website and someone has taken my businesss name and put it onto there website. So if you search for my business name you get my website and this other website. I've looked and they seem to have bought a load of domain names and linked all similar small businesses in the area to there own website.

The website has copyright 2010 on the bottom but they definitely weren't there when I set my website up two years ago. One of my customers found it six months ago and told me about it.
    My RIG: MSI GE62 2QD Apache I7 4720HQ, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SDD + 1TB HDD, GTX 960M 2GB, Windows 10, 15.6" IPS screen.

In the Mushroom Kingdom with Princess Peach
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 987 Posts

I'm actually impressed just how thorough they've been. Good luck getting this resolve dude

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heavywater View Post
    The site is Russian, so good luck.

Looks like they've nicked employee photos from other places as well: http://dom-rol.pl/pl/kontakt https://www.jaybeeplant.co.uk/team/
    Yer we phoned the number on the website and established that they were not Irish... Our web team are looking into it and confirmed what you said though, so good shout on that.

Quote Originally Posted by cold fusion View Post
    I'm actually impressed just how thorough they've been. Good luck getting this resolve dude
    Credit where credit is due eh? They've certainly done a thorough job!
    Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 | Samsung Blu-Ray | BitFenix Spectre PRO LED Fans | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

Military Grade Tester DoubleTop's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,421 Posts

There are a number of things at play here, I'll rush through some details.

It's research time - put simply the simplest way to get this resolved is research the directors of the firm you claim (that's an important word) has used images without your permission. Use Duedil, companies house (Ireland one of course) and get a list of directors. Then go social media hunting if you're not local - find the directors, it's simpler than you think. Use Streetview to find and call the nearest pub, all completely normal things to do to validate your evidence, conversation goes along the lines of "oh, you're just up the road from X company, does Y drink there?"

If you manage to find them, politely request they remove images due to misuse - if the site is actually them. If it is not them running the site, get friendly - because it is a lot easier for them to reclaim the domain name as they have the company name and have had since 2000 according to companies house.

You can also here check if the domain is them, with simple calls and "can I send you an email". Evidence is key - altered images are a pain, but there could be a much large scam at play here, and another important word COULD. Do not make claims on the site being a scam without reasonable cause.

And while on the note about reasonable cause, be very careful on how you word accusations (at this point that is what they are) on a public site, a few altered images is not worth the pain in time and effort having to defend your own claims, it can make things very messy.

You may think I'm overcomplicating, but I've been involved in a number of similar cases and this is the sort of lengths I had to go to in order to "recover" a domain or takedown a false site.

Hope this helps.

DT.
    Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
    Forum Guidelines here

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleTop For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Call this guy

GIVE PEAS A CHANCE