Thread: Humble Book Bundle: UNIX

Glorious PC Master Race Joshimitsu91's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Humble Book Bundle: UNIX

Humble have a new book bundle out, may be of interest to some!

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/unix-book-bundle

If anyone has any thoughts on this bundle let me know My VM for work is Unix based and I'm thinking these might be handy to help me become a little less Unix illiterate!
    i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Joshimitsu91 For This Useful Post:

In the Mushroom Kingdom with Princess Peach
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 972 Posts

I wouldn't bother with the $1 dollar bundle:

UNIX in a Nutshell: Linux is not UNIX. There are transferrable skills but if your VPS is Linux and you need a guide to Linux then reading up on UNIX will only confuse you when you hit one of the many inconsistances between those different platforms.

sed and awk: could be useful if you're heavy into your shell scripting. Honestly though, you'd be better off learning bash and Googling sed / awk for tips as and when you need them.

lex and yacc: you definitely don't need a book on this one - or rather if you did then you'd know it and thus already own it. lex and yacc are tools for code generation and compalation. More a programming reference than anything - though even then you'd generally use other tools these days.

Learning the bash Shell: This could be useful. Bash has been a pretty consistant platform for a long time now so the age of the book wouldn't matter either. Just depends on how well laid out the reference material is.

Linux Pcket Guide: This could also be useful depending on how well laid out it is, what platforms they reference (Linux platforms can vary from one distribution to another) and how old the book it (a lot has changed on Linux in recent years).

The $8 bundle looks better but there's quite a bit of overlap with the books (basically 3 books on shell scripting, 2 books on terminal text editors, and 2 books on UNIX - which might also overlap with the shell scripting books)

The $15 bundle is likely too advanced for anyone who'd be tempted by a *nix book bundle.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cold fusion For This Useful Post:

Glorious PC Master Race Joshimitsu91's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the insight

Quote Originally Posted by cold fusion View Post
    Learning the bash Shell: This could be useful. Bash has been a pretty consistant platform for a long time now so the age of the book wouldn't matter either. Just depends on how well laid out the reference material is.

Linux Pcket Guide: This could also be useful depending on how well laid out it is, what platforms they reference (Linux platforms can vary from one distribution to another) and how old the book it (a lot has changed on Linux in recent years).
    These two look like they might be useful for me so perhaps I'll just pick up the $1 bundle for now.
    i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joshimitsu91 For This Useful Post:

In the Mushroom Kingdom with Princess Peach
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 972 Posts

For a dollar I guess you can't complain