50GB BD-Rs @ 72 for a 50 pack -3p/gig

100GB BD-Rs @ 34 for 5 pack - 7p/gig

compared to HDDs:

e.g WD Caviar 3TB @ 77 each - 77 - 3p/gig
    Follow me @twitter

Glorious PC Master Race Joshimitsu91's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't do any back ups like this but my questions would be:

. Is that the cheapest HDD? Wouldn't 8TB Seagate archive ones work out a bit cheaper?
    . How long is it going to take to fill 3TB of blu-rays by hand? What's the read/write speed like compared to HDDs?
    . BD-Rs cannot be re-written like a hard drive can, depending on the frequency you change your data this could send the cost up drastically
    . How much safer is your data on a disc than a hard drive? Assuming you don't keep your back ups in a tumble dryer

I know one thing for certain, my company still uses tapes...
    i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Thanks

If you have a decent internet connection you'd be better off with cloud backups.

Personally I use a VPS with BTSync for my important stuff. I'm looking to move to crashplan though.
    Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
    Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Transatlantic Dutchman TheMadDutchDude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 949 Posts

The price may be lower, but I value my time more than saving a few quid here and there.

I'd rather be reading/writing files at 100MBps and slash the time into a quarter of what it would be with the BRs.

Plus, it's far easier to have a single HDD with everything on it compared to 50 BR disks sitting around.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Thanks

An 8TB is still around the same 3p/gig

BD-RE are available and rewriteable, but are double the price of write once BD-R ( and like the archival nature of write once media)

Of course I use hdds for backup,
    But 50-100GB is just about right for many of my datasets.
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 2,061 Posts

Sounds like a pain in the neck to use as a regular backup medium.

However for something like an infrequent archive of key data a blue-ray (preferably stored offsite) is very reasonable, as a compliment to a 'hot' backup schedule and a cloud solution. With the three combined (daily backup, cloud backup, offsite snapshots) you are about as covered as you can reasonably be.

Thanks

Flash drives/Hard Drives/Cloud Backup

Only ones I use. No way would I feel like writing blurays, I don't even have a disc drive any more.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,259 Times in 2,255 Posts

Yeah I couldn't use Bluray.. I have around 1.3Tb of user files at work which I have to backup nightly, which even really removes the possibility of cloud backup.

For me, the only realistic way of doing it is to back up to a rotation of external hard drives. The ones that aren't active at that very moment are stored off site.

Quote Originally Posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Yeah I couldn't use Bluray.. I have around 1.3Tb of user files at work which I have to backup nightly, which even really removes the possibility of cloud backup.

For me, the only realistic way of doing it is to back up to a rotation of external hard drives. The ones that aren't active at that very moment are stored off site.
    You should be able to use some kind of incremental cloud backup scheme though? Unless you mean 1.3TB of NEW data each night?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,259 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andyn View Post
    You should be able to use some kind of incremental cloud backup scheme though? Unless you mean 1.3TB of NEW data each night?
    Thankfully not... But it's normally quite a lot - it still wouldn't be feasible to do an offsite cloud backup.

Quote Originally Posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Thanks

Stick with hard drives Much better I have some 25Gb disks and I should have bought 50Gb instead as I can't fit all of my daughters pictures on one disk and she's only 3... lol

That said, 24Tb of backup storage.... Am I insane??