Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FreeTrack - The free alternative to TrackIR

Thanks

OSRAM SFH485P is the type I purchased but I'm afraid it was indeed from china (even though the seller was listed as UK). And a bit overpriced... I would give the filing way a go.

i7 4960X, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus Sabertooth x79, Sapphire 290 4gb, Win10 pro 64.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,238 Times in 2,237 Posts

Tried somewhere like CPC or Maplin?

Quote Originally Posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Thanks
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 1,542 Posts

Farnell/RS/Rapid will all have a billion different types of IR emitters.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 802 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Tried somewhere like CPC or Maplin?
    CPC! I knew I'd forgotten somebody. Ta!

Maplins have some that are pretty close to spec. But they won't deliver them, and the nearest store only has 2 in. The next nearest has none... I'd end up doing a roughly 30 mile round trip for 3 LEDs that are only close to the spec I want lol.

Quote Originally Posted by heavywater View Post
    Farnell/RS/Rapid will all have a billion different types of IR emitters.
    Farnell have some that at first glance look perfect, the OSRAM SFH4556P. The have a huge beam angle of 130 degrees, but they're 2V and 850nm (which means I have to mess about with the circuit and optical filters). That's one of my backup plans

Rapid have the SFH485P Marv mentions above, but they only have a 40 degree beam angle. RS have tons of IR receivers, but for emitters I can only find the opto diodes, which include visible light spectrum so they're no good as I'll get annoyed by them reflecting on my screen.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Thanks

I'm fairly sure the SFH485P has a viewing angle of 80 degrees which should be plenty.

i7 4960X, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus Sabertooth x79, Sapphire 290 4gb, Win10 pro 64.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 1,542 Posts

Are SMDs out of the question?

KINGBRIGHT KP-3216F3C on Farnell
    1.6v, 940nm, 120 degrees, 11p each

9. The Following User Says Thank You to heavywater For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    I'm fairly sure the SFH485P has a viewing angle of 80 degrees which should be plenty.
    Says 40 on farnells... Or is that supposed to be 40+/-? (I've seen some 90 degree ones described as 45+/- on other websites).

Quote Originally Posted by heavywater View Post
    Are SMDs out of the question?

KINGBRIGHT KP-3216F3C on Farnell
    1.6v, 940nm, 120 degrees, 11p each
    I'll have to rethink how I was going to mount them, but that might be a winner. A little on the small side, but I can probably work around that

I was thinking about making a top mounted (cap style) clip instead of or as well... They'd probably work better with that... I'll get on it lol.
    Last edited by FunkY; 20-04-17 at 20:23.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FunkY View Post
    Says 40 on farnells... Or is that supposed to be 40+/-? (I've seen some 90 degree ones described as 45+/- on other websites).
    Yeah, spec sheet on the store page suggests 40+/-

https://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/58-0446.pdf

Generally they're the ones most mentioned on freetrackir forums and guides, due to efficiency, wide angle and size.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I ended up ordering some wide angle chanzon IR emitters...

Brand: Chanzon
    Power: 3 Watt (Max)
    Emitting Color: Infrared (IR 940nm)
    Recommended Current: 450mA
    Forward Voltage: 1.2-1.4V
    Luminous Flux: No
    Emitting Angle: 120-140 degree

I'm thinking 3W is probably a bit over the top, but I shouldn't have any problems getting the PS3 eyecam to pick them up xD

Now I just have to wait for them to be delivered... Which is looking like sometime next month

Thanks

Prototype nearly complete:

The frame is made of heavy duty single core copper cable, about 40 cm single piece doubled over and folded into shape. I've got a big reel of old 45A cooker cable left over from when I used to fit kitchens years ago, the frame is basically a chunk of the Earth strap. Stiff enough to be sturdy, but not too heavy. Flexible enough that it can be bent back into shape if I squash it. Covered in offcuts of heat shrink. NOT part of the circuit.

LEDs as specified above, superglued onto the frame for now. Will be adding a blob of gorilla glue on the back for extra strength later on (after I've finished all the little bits of soldering I need to do).

2xAA battery mounts (got some 1.2v rechargeables for them), soldered together in parallel. This way I can use one battery which should last about 2 hours, or two batteries for 4 hours (assuming I got my maths right that is).

The switch I'm the first to admit is completely ridiculous, but it looked cool and only cost a couple of quid.

The big black clump going off the back edge contains 3x (1 for each LED, they'll also be connected in parallel later) 0.5W, 1ohm resistors. Soldered to the ground on the battery packs, separate on the end that's going to the LEDs. Covered in heat shrink again.

Just need a small box to mount () the switch on and hide the battery packs in. Got some velcro tape to stick it all to my headset...

Should be finished in time for weekend, and I've only burnt myself with the soldering iron twice so far (that's pretty good for me lol)

I've even got enough spare parts for repairs or to build another two (bar the switch).
    Last edited by FunkY; 2 Weeks Ago at 00:19.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12