Thread: non-gaming upgrade

Thanks

Default non-gaming upgrade

Its time to update this old machine.

I've selected what i'd like, but its a little bit more than i planned to spend. So i figured I would once again submit to the collective wisdom of the Aria forum.
    I don't game (but i like to reserve the right to change my mind ), I do a lot of heavy load photoshop work, and for kicks i edit video. so that's the stuff i want my comp to fly doing.
    I also don't overclock, I'm not that clever with computers under the hood (as my recent general hardware thread might have proved ) so i need stuff to just work out of the box fast.

Oh, i also have a new external for unplugged back up of my work, its usb3, so i'd like to take real advantage of that, i guess thats pretty standard on new kit now?
    I'm not 100% sure about the SSD because you hear about problems, and I have no time to be fixing issues while i'm working. (although i do have a back up rig)

this is what i'm looking to buy:
    https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/wFMCyg8KiohKLDjD9b_lvw,,
    it's mostly based on the prices of what i bought the stuff i'm upgrading.

and this is what I'm upgrading:
    Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) Processor
    Cooler Master Centurion 590 Black
    Zalman CNPS10X-Quiet CPU Cooler
    Arianet GeForce GTX 260 "Sonic Edition" 896MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    500GB Samsung HD502HJ F3 3.5" SATA II Hard Drive
    2x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive
    Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
    G.Skill RipJaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C8 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit
    Samsung SH-S223B 22x Internal DVD±RW SATA Drive - Black
    Corsair VX Series 550W ATX2.2 Power Supply

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,994 Posts

Imho, keep the GTX260 - it may not be the world's best gpu, but it's fine for the basics

Swap the mobo out for the MSI-Z77A-G43 : https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=48876
    Saves a chunk more money, has usb3 front headers and rear ports.

That alone should free up plenty to bump the cpu up to the i7 cpu. https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=49758

You can get the non-k for £14 less because you're not overclocking, but if you ever sell it on the "k" version which hold its value.

Comes to £502 inc Vat + Del : https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/HQAxUbs6z4B0L1uTZnDvnQ,,

SSD's are worth every single penny imo. The responsiveness of windows is transformed - you'll never go back
    Last edited by Spaceboy; 06-05-12 at 18:36.
    Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    as soon as I get home it's #kleenexcentral
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Silversone RV02 3570k, z77x-d3h, 8gb exceleram, GTX480, 240gb M500, 2x2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Thanks

well thats interesting for sure! thank you

i'd decided to stick with gigabyte just because my build prior to this one i'm upgrading was built on an MSI mobo and MSI gfx card... and it was problem after problem (admittedly a couple of issues were HD related, but it still flavoured the experience). and the gigabyte stuff on 2 builds has been rock solid.

but its not like MSI are clowns, i might have been unlucky, it was a while ago. i should open my mind. thats a good saving

I hadn't considered the i7 because when i last did a build i couldn't find any reasons the benefits justified the cost. i didn't do anything that hyperthreading seemed to help.
    so is the cache and stock ghz bump good value?
    the chip costs about 50% more. the cache bump is 33% and the ghz bump only... a really small %. a lot for £80 odd. am i missing other benefits that don't make the product subtitles?

i feel more sold on the SSD idea - iread here the crucial one is most reliable anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,994 Posts

I recommended the i7 mainly due to this

I do a lot of heavy load photoshop work, and for kicks i edit video. so that's the stuff i want my comp to fly doing.
    That should take advantage of the i7's hyperthreading
    Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    as soon as I get home it's #kleenexcentral
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Silversone RV02 3570k, z77x-d3h, 8gb exceleram, GTX480, 240gb M500, 2x2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 838 Posts

I'd say don't bother using the GTX260 at all, its a powerhouse going to waste. Might as well just use onboard graphics .

Thought about getting an overclocked bundle? . Can't beat a free performance boost!
    Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition: i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // HGST 1TB 7,200RPM // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Zowie EC2 // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

HTC One M7 32GB // LG G Pad 8.3 // Flickr

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboy View Post
    I recommended the i7 mainly due to this

That should take advantage of the i7's hyperthreading
    With hyperthreading its about 25% faster, bettter performance or something I can't remember