Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broadband problems!

Thanks

Is the SKY fibre option not available in your area? It costs extra (20 a month in total) but you will hopefully get much better speeds. Although, they quoted me 40Mbps down at the most and I get 50Mbps from BT. You can imagine who we went with.
    ASUS K53E | Intel Core i5-2537M (BGA to PGA adapter) | Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600MHz 2x4GB | Crucial M4 64GB | Intel HD 3000 Graphics | 1366x768 | Windows 10 Preview

Thanks

The only fibre we can get is Virgin until september when the bt fibre goes in.

Added after 2 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by Greed4Speed View Post
    Perhaps the cable is damaged?
    I just switched over to virgin, engineers came over on Thursday to install the modem and stuff. They checked the line and said the signal was very poor, the whole line coming into the house got replaced today, I saw the engineers feed a new cable from the end of the road where there is a junction. They will be coming with the modem next week, pretty sure the speed will be great, will have to wait and see.

So I can only sudgest that the line is checked for integrity, there is a special meter for checking this.
    Dont think so, Sky have said the max speed we should be able to acheive is about 2Mb in our area with the distance from the exchange counted for.

When Virgin fibre optics are installed do they run a new cable to your house?
    Last edited by flyboyovyick; 06-05-12 at 01:44.

Pentium G3258 | ASUS Z97I-PLUS| HyperX Blu 8GB | WD Green 2TB | GIGABYTE R9 270X | CM Elite 130

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flyboyovyick View Post

Added after 2 minutes:

Dont think so, Sky have said the max speed we should be able to acheive is about 2Mb in our area with the distance from the exchange counted for.

Yeah, Sky connections run through your BT phone line. VM will use a different cable alltogether. If you buy 30Mb/s you'll get 30 or thereabouts.

Thanks

Added after 2 minutes:

If your house has had cable in the past, they shouldn't have to run any new cables. You should have s little box on the front of your house and small white box's on the walls of any rooms that had it before
    i7 2600K @ 4.5| Asrock Z68 Extreme4| 16GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix |AMD R9 290| 120GB SSD |Win7 64bit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Finners View Post
    If your house has had cable in the past, they shouldn't have to run any new cables. You should have s little box on the front of your house and small white box's on the walls of any rooms that had it before
    Yeah, thats what we have got but i think they may need replacing.

Oh and i think my Dad cut the cable wire when cutting a tree down in the front garden.

Last time we have cable was Telewest about 2003 maybe before that.

Pentium G3258 | ASUS Z97I-PLUS| HyperX Blu 8GB | WD Green 2TB | GIGABYTE R9 270X | CM Elite 130

Thanks

Virgin Media will be a hugee improvement. Look in my sig for the speeds I get with virgin media and thats not a one off either. It's actually constant like that all the time and doesn't drop speeds like talk talk did when I was with them. Good luck persuading your dad!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,607 Posts

Anyone know ANYTHING i can say to him to make him change his mind? And go to Virgin?
    "I'll pay for it myself" ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    "I'll pay for it myself" ?
    Yeah i did say that to him.

He said yes then no. If he said yes then i would get a job and start paying for it, but he then changed his mind.

I will have to keep trying!! Usually if i mention anything about the broadband or even the word "Sky" he start shouting: "Im not talking about it now!"

Thanks

Your father is a bit odd if he likes paying for something that either doesn't work or is crap...

The sheer fact you'd be paying less for essentially a better service is enough in itself - i guess there is nothing you can do - the negatives of living with parents, glad i moved out!

I was fortunate enough that when my parents split up , my mum knew nothing about broadband - so i told her just to get BT Package 3 & there were no questions asked lol.
    8gb Geil BlackDragon RAM | Radeon 7850 2GB | i7 860 @2.8ghz | ASUS Maximus III Extreme

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 913 Posts

Yeah do what Oscar did frame your dad so they split up so you can have option 3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sniperdude For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperdude View Post
    Yeah do what Oscar did frame your dad so they split up so you can have option 3

lmfao! - well hey it worked, so it's always an option
    8gb Geil BlackDragon RAM | Radeon 7850 2GB | i7 860 @2.8ghz | ASUS Maximus III Extreme

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar99 View Post
    lmfao! - well hey it worked, so it's always an option
    Right, ive just split my parents up, whats next? lmfao

I said to my dad the other day, "why dont you like change?" and he said "i do but..."

He keeps saying "oh we are going to have to cut down on stuff" like a costco card, which costs 40 for a year. And i said to him "so we are paying 70 for **** broadband and tv A MONTH and you cant afford 40 for a costco card FOR A YEAR?" and he said "maybe we could stretch to it" WTF DAD?!?!

He then said later that "your mum will have to phone sky, as the account is in her name". urgh he could have told me that in the first place.

Well, i will try to get my mum to do it. But she will have to be in a good mood. Thats usually after i get rid of a load of stuff, or make her a brew.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12