Thread: compatibility question....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 975 Posts

Default compatibility question....

ok, crap thread title, but i wasnt sure what else to put !!

Basic question regarding laptop and max memory,

If i have 32GB of memory (4x8) installed in a laptop, which has a CPU based memory controller (i7 2860QM) capable of 32GB max @ 1600mhz..... and said memory is visible in BIOS, and windows boots through to the "configuring your setup on first run"

Can i assume that the system is happy with it, and that all 32GB will be available when i fresh install win7 ultimate 64bit (i dont want to run through the first run setup, because i'm removing the original drive so i can re-fit it if i sell the machine)

so anyone got any knowledge of this ?

(and yes, the RAM was expensive 200+ for all 32GB... on the upside, i have one kick *** laptop )

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
    - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Avatar-less. The shame. ChrisGlobe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 876 Posts

Yes But what on earth can you do with a laptop that'll use 32GB RAM!? :/
    Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Thanks

windowsXP mode, autoCAD, Photoshop .... and those are just 3 things that will chew through RAM like your wife on a shopping spree !!!!

anything virtual machine related will hoover ram like it's going out of fashion, as well as things like video processing/converting ...... and when doing stuff like that, it will be nice not to have to go and make a cup of coffee whilst it's plodding away !!! ... windows 7 likes to stretch it's legs as well in ram (although not half as much as vista did - that was the proverbial greedy sister!)

and yes, the rest of the laptop's spec matches ..... damit, that reminds me - insurance lol

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"

Thanks

I'm interested in this spec and make... and ofcourse the price!
    The North will never forget!

Thanks

pm sent