Thread: How to make my wired internet connection available via wifi?

Thanks

Default How to make my wired internet connection available via wifi?

My computer is connected to our wireless router via an ethernet cable because the signal is too weak where my pc is.

But I've got an iPod and more importantly, just got myself a Sony Xperia S which I want to have connected to the internet/wifi while I'm at home.

I've bought a TP-Link PCIe wifi card from Aria so my PC now has wired and wireless capability, but I can't get it to share the wired internet connection through the wifi?
    Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB Mushkin 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | GTX 560 | 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD | Corsair H60 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 | Samsung 12x Blu-Ray | BitFenix Spectre PRO LED Fans

Twitter @DavidGain

Thanks

Yes you can, google Virtual Router

That is of course, if you're on W7

Thanks

I think the problem is that my ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) service is not started, and I can't get it to run.

Which means windows won't allow the internet to be shared.

I just downloaded Virtual Router and it just says 'Virtual Router can not be started' when I click the start button.
    Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB Mushkin 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | GTX 560 | 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD | Corsair H60 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 | Samsung 12x Blu-Ray | BitFenix Spectre PRO LED Fans

Twitter @DavidGain

Thanks

cmd > sfc /scannow

I type 90 WPM, Click Here to try
    i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | R9 290| 16GB Ram @ 1600mhz
    Nikon D5100 + Kit Lens + 50mm 1.8G - 16-35mm F4 VR // Ultrasone PRO 2900s - Audio GD NFB-3.1 - Neco Mosfett Amp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naphta View Post
    cmd > sfc /scannow
    Tried that already, it said everything was fine.

And I've been through the service manager and made sure all the associated services are running too.

There's pages and pages of people with this same problem, but nobody with an answer

Twitter @DavidGain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Tried that already, it said everything was fine.

And I've been through the service manager and made sure all the associated services are running too.

There's pages and pages of people with this same problem, but nobody with an answer
    Ooo, things just got interesting!

Isnt ICS a windows feature you need to enable? Double check that!

I type 90 WPM, Click Here to try
    i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | R9 290| 16GB Ram @ 1600mhz
    Nikon D5100 + Kit Lens + 50mm 1.8G - 16-35mm F4 VR // Ultrasone PRO 2900s - Audio GD NFB-3.1 - Neco Mosfett Amp

Thanks

Hold on, the way I got around it is this, just searchinggggg...

1. Open command prompt with Administrator privileges. (You can do it by going to start menu, right clicking on command prompt and selecting “Run as administrator”).

2. Enter the following command:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Test key=Passkey
    (This will create a wireless access-point with SSID of “Test”

Windows-7-Wifi-Setup

3. Open the Networks and Sharing Center

4. Select your mode of connecting to the internet (ethernet, wi-fi, cable etc.)

5. Enable sharing and select special ‘hosted’ interface or Wireless Connection (i.e. Virtual Wifi miniport)

6. Start it

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Source: http://www.techylabs.com/setting-up-...windows-7.html

And you’re Done!

Tips:
    1. Disable IP6 in Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter or other wireless network.
    2.Don't use any Wifi connections before starting Virtual Router may create Problem.
    3.In Device Manage download Online, Latest Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter in case of problem.

Then after few days try to connect through Virtual Router

pppoe, you can. Just see this pic to share http://i54.tinypic.com/15moh77.jpg ; My wireless connection 4 is Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter.

First you need to connect Internet and then start virtual router and then start.
    When You successfully share Internet with virtual router you will see this. http://i53.tinypic.com/300y0ck.jpg

Network Connections Page: http://i56.tinypic.com/m93gbt.jpg

Virtual Router Screen Shot: http://i54.tinypic.com/spzrtj.jpg
    Color Red: Confidential
    Color Black: This may confuse you because I already ))

Hope it Helps and will save time. )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garriec View Post
    Hold on, the way I got around it is this, just searchinggggg...
    I've found various different versions of the method you posted, but none work because I cannot enable sharing. See screenshots...

Added after 4 minutes:

I've got it to create the new connection called 'Test' which now shows up in the Network and Sharing Centre, but I still can't enable internet connection sharing without getting the error message
    Last edited by Cypher; 27-04-12 at 00:09.

Twitter @DavidGain

Thanks

Oh, that's odd Can't help there I'm afraid!

In my case, I received the following message on Vista Ultimate SP1:

"An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.
    (null)"

An easy Google search turned up lots of answers. I combined two to find that the following services must be running, i.e., started and not disabled--ideally "automatic" if you want it to work on restart--for ICS to function properly:

Application Layer Gateway Service
    Network Connections
    Network Location Awareness (NLA)
    Plug And Play
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    Remote Access Connection Manager
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Telephony
    Windows Firewall

I had--in some stab at wisdom--disabled all the services I wasn't using, and I was not able to start ICS until I went all the way through the list. Unfortunately, I found that Windows Firewall has to be running, even if you're running another product, such as Symantec Endpoint Protection.
    Any good?
    Last edited by garriec; 27-04-12 at 00:11.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to garriec For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garriec View Post
    Oh, that's odd Can't help there I'm afraid!

Any good?
    Only thing on that list I hadn't already enabled was windows firewall, but still nothing.

EDIT: I take that back! I just went back into Network and Sharing Centre and clicked the 'allow this connection to be shared' button and it worked! I now have 'Test' up and running and my phone using the internet through it!

It appears that the ICS service can't be started on it's own, it needs an outside application (such as the network) to request that it is started.

But either way, enabling windows firewall seems to have sorted it! Thanks for your help!

Now just quickly, do I have to open and run the virtual router software everytime I start my computer to re-activate the connection?
    Last edited by Cypher; 27-04-12 at 00:25.

Twitter @DavidGain

Thanks

Thanked and repped your last post

Twitter @DavidGain

Thanks

TP-Link PCIe wifi card from Aria
    You could have attached a second wireless router on the end of your cable, connected a cable to that for PC and then have the wireless devices connect to the new wireless router. Not sure on the cost difference but it would not rely on your computer being on all the time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657 View Post
    You could have attached a second wireless router on the end of your cable, connected a cable to that for PC and then have the wireless devices connect to the new wireless router. Not sure on the cost difference but it would not rely on your computer being on all the time.
    Ooh now he tells me

Yee that's probably what I should have done, but 20 for a triple antenna wireless-n card was a much cheaper solution that a router.

Plus my computer gets turned on as soon as I get home, and it's the last thing to go off before bed so the network is always available

Twitter @DavidGain

Thanks

That photoshop better be legit!
    The North will never forget!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    That photoshop better be legit!
    haha, of course!

The hassle I had trying to get it on this computer though! Because Ive had it a few years it been on several different computers, but I keep forgetting to de-authorise it before I change computers/do re-installs etc.

But the lady at Adobe was very helpful in getting me registered on my current rig

Twitter @DavidGain