Thread: Looking for a soundcard...

Thanks

Default Looking for a soundcard...

I'm looking for a cheapish 5.1 or 7.1 PCI-E soundcard. I've not been a fan of Creative cards for a long time, and I'm not too keen on the Asus cards after having a DG that was naff... Which kind of limits my options a bit too much if I'm being realistic. So...

Out of the Creative X-FI Xtreme and the Xonar DSX cards: Which is gonna be better?

Have Asus started releasing updates to the drivers yet (last ones I saw for the DG were dated 2009 I think)?

Thanks

I've got a C -Media one that's about 10 years old which my dad got very cheap, sound quality is brilliant
    I5 2500K @ 4.7GHz| Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Predator DDR3 | Crossfire Radeon 5850| BeQuiet! L8 630W | Corsair 700D
    Razer Lachesis | Razer Black Widow

Thanks

these drivers (http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/0...ified-drivers/) will transform your Xonar..... they are absolutely excellent, and not developed by Asus. I personally have the DG and find it to be an excellent card, given the money.

Main: Crucial C300 64GB | Phenom II 965 @ 4.0 | 8GB | MSI HD6870 | M4A89GTD USB3 | Xonar DS | VE278Q
    Secondary: Fractal Core 1000 | x2 250 | GTX460 | 2GB | 760GM |
    Server:
    Server 2008 R2 | E6750 | 2GB | 1.5tb
    Bikes: Zesty 314 2012 | Latitude 853 | Tarmac Elite 2012

Thanks
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,822 Posts

would you not be better listening for it?

we know who we are,
    most successful english football team ever, liverpool fc.
    we know who we are.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to marsey99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    these drivers (http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/0...ified-drivers/) will transform your Xonar..... they are absolutely excellent, and not developed by Asus. I personally have the DG and find it to be an excellent card, given the money.
    is that just for the DX or will that do the DS too?
    8gb Geil BlackDragon RAM | Radeon 7850 2GB | i7 860 @2.8ghz | ASUS Maximus III Extreme

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    I actually tried the unified drivers during my time with the DG... Didn't fix anything. There was a minor improvement to the sound quality, the stability was still dreadful though. Admittedly I do believe my card was faulty, but considering it only cost me 20 I couldn't be bothered going through the rma process only to have it sent back with "no fault found" (it did in fact work, it just sounded tinny and made all my games crash - deafening me in the process).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,294 Posts

So take creative and Asus out of the loop ....what we left with.? Startech and xenta.... ( who? ) lol....Unless you look high..high spec then I think your options realistically are either asus or creative.... Oh remembered another one Terratech ...not even sure they are still around
    Quote Originally Posted by heavywater View Post
    not faceplanting a Micra because Barry was hungover when he did up the harness.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrivz69 View Post
    I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.
    i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead | Gigabyte TITAN |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | OCZ Vertex 4 512GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Thermaltake T Power 850W | HAF X | 27 inch DGM 2560x1440 IPS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FunkY View Post
    I'm looking for a cheapish 5.1 or 7.1 PCI-E soundcard. I've not been a fan of Creative cards for a long time, and I'm not too keen on the Asus cards after having a DG that was naff... Which kind of limits my options a bit too much if I'm being realistic. So...

Out of the Creative X-FI Xtreme and the Xonar DSX cards: Which is gonna be better?

Have Asus started releasing updates to the drivers yet (last ones I saw for the DG were dated 2009 I think)?
    i have a ASUS sound card and no driver issues here with windows 7 64
    Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 Micro ATX-MSI Z87M-GAMING-4770K-Asus 970-AX860

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
    i have a ASUS sound card and no driver issues here with windows 7 64
    Good for you

Looks like I'm going for the DSX (which has the most recent drivers compared to the DG or the DS, hopefully this is a good thing - time will tell).

I can't find much info as far as reviews go (all the searches for reviews I've done thus far mostly bring up the Xonar DS or DX lol). However I do still like my Asus mobo which has been flawless since day one (except when I've messed a setting up trying new oc settings, but that's my own fault lol), and I am convinced my previous Asus sound card was just a duff one. Compare that with endless hardware and driver problems that I remember from when I used creative cards... I'm giving Asus another chance

With a bit of luck I'll get it tomorrow too, maybe I should write a review
    Last edited by FunkY; 09-05-12 at 14:35.