Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Program for transferring large files between remote servers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Program for transferring large files between remote servers?

I'm currently migrating my personal server to a different one and as part of it need to transfer my hyper-v VMs, totaling in excess of 500gb. Due to the sheer size of the files FTP obviously won't really cut it as it seems to cap out at around 14mb/s (the servers both have full gbit) and as such I find myself looking for an alternate, does anybody have any suggestions for what I might use?
    MSI Z77A-G43 , i7 3770K@4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS R9 290x DirectCU II, 4x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport, 120gb Crucial M4, 240gb Crucial MX500, 500gb Seagate Barracuda, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, NZXT H440, Corsair RM 850W Gold PSU

what source and target OS? certainly worth using a volume splitting compression tool - .rar or something along those lines.

Physical access or are both servers "cloud"?

Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
    Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Assuming you have physical access, use an External Hard Drive.

Export VMs to it, import in to Hyper-V Manager on new machine.

If the import/export won't work, just copy the VHD/VHDX files, recreate the host on the new machine and then reattach the drives.

If you don't have physical access, then set up the new server as a replication target and enable replication on the current host. Then wait for it to replicate everything across - hyper v replication compresses the data too. It'll keep a track of any changes you make, but the replicated VMs will be in an off state, with no network connection/ip allocatiojn

Once you're happy, power off the original VMs, shut down the old server and turn on the new server & VMs. Give them a network connection and assign IP addresses and job done.

Originally posted by coiler
      Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

I have been using something called resilo sync, https://www.resilio.com/individuals/
        This allowed me to install it on a remote server and trandfer all the files i needed. It was quite quick and supports start/stop etc

Originally posted by Aria
        On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Working...
        X