Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethernet dead after Windows 10 update, new network card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethernet dead after Windows 10 update, new network card?

This happened a couple of times when installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update when it first came out last year, but I just rolled back to the earlier version of W10 and it was fine.

Just left my PC unattended and it has installed the damn thing again though, and I'm fed up with having to dodge the ''Update and Shutdown' options every time I turn my rig off so I'm considering just leaving it installed this time.

It seems the drivers for my mobo's on-board network card are simply too old though, so I just get the little red X or yellow triangle over my Ethernet symbol after the restart.

I've tried installing updated drivers but still no luck. Am I just going to have to throw a standalone network card in to get my PC online again?
    Last edited by Cypher; 17-02-18, 00:41.
    Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

After about 4 hours (on and off) of Googling, messing about with Command Prompt, updating drivers and disabling/enabling things in device manager; the thing which (I think) finally cured it was to disable the onboard LAN in the BIOS, reboot, re-enable in BIOS and then another reboot!

All seems to be working fine now, although I had to reinstall my anti virus as that wasn't playing ball with the update either.

I really hate Windows sometimes...
    Last edited by Cypher; 17-02-18, 00:42.
    Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

Comment

Very odd. Although I had something very similar with a 55" touch screen after a W10 update..

Originally posted by coiler
      Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Working...
      X