X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot install Windows on my new HP laptop

Hello,

I have just bought
    HP Notebook - 15-bs158sa and upgraded my 1 tb HHD to 500GB SSD and also upgraded my 4GB of RAM to 8GB
    and would like to install Windows 7 64-bit on my new SSD but it won't do it, it gives me the following error:

Load Driver: a required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing error
    https://images.scdn8.secure.raxcdn.c...1005d9e1c2.png

As my laptop doesn’t have a DVD ROM I am using External USB DVD ROM, I have tried both Windows 7 and Windows 10 disks, tried using all my USB ports (one of them must be USB 2.0, also tried using bootable Win7 pendrive but face the same issue.
    CD-ROM Boot and USB Boot are enabled in BIOS.

Also HP seems to have only Win 10 drivers for this model, is it possible or I am just not looking in the right place?
    https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers...model/18165344

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Had a very similar issue installing a PC with Win7, on a machine with no DVD.
    Created a few USB bootable drives, it would boot (as yours does) into the windows installer, then Win7 helpfully disabled all the USB ports! They had no power (kbd/mouse lights went off).

I can only suggest creating a Win10 USB boot image somehow, as Win7 simply doesn't seem to like new hardware, especially with USB3.
    You could try disabling USB3 in the BIOS, and there's a few other BIOS options that others had success when they were disabled... but I can't help further on that as I had no joy and laptop BIOS would be a little different to the PC I built.

Win10 would be your best bet.

Fwiw, Ubuntu went straight on without issue.. so if you're really stuck you could try that for the time being.

I don't know if taking the SSD to another PC... installing Windows on it there, and then moving it back to the laptop would be worth trying. No doubt Windows would complain profusely when booting on new hardware, but so long as it's a "vanilla" install and you don't install PC-specific drivers, it should work.

good luck
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

assuming the 1Tb had an install on it, why not clone the disk to the ssd?
      Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
      Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
        assuming the 1Tb had an install on it, why not clone the disk to the ssd?
        OP wants to install Windows 7, a new laptop probably came with Windows 10 pre-installed.
        Originally posted by coiler
        He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
        Originally posted by BigIan88
        turn off that sexy nonsense
        Originally posted by Salad Soup
        turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

I had a very useful reply on HP forums

so tried installing Win10 from USB and that worked fine, a shame that processor doesn't support Win7, another way to make money for Microsoft ?

Comment

Why would it be that?

Windows 10 was given away for free for ages. You've always had to pay for 7 :/
            turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Windows 10 is still free.. .All you have to do is type in a 7/8 etc product key at install and it activates fine.

Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by omega View Post
                Why would it be that?

Windows 10 was given away for free for ages. You've always had to pay for 7 :/
                never liked Win10, prefer Win7 as simple as that

Comment

Originally posted by brat02 View Post
                  a shame that processor doesn't support Win7, another way to make money for Microsoft ?
                  Sorry I should've quoted this ^

Comment

Originally posted by omega View Post

Sorry I should've quoted this ^
                    oh I thought it was free only in the beginning when they were releasing it

Comment

It was free up until early Jan 2018 - I know because I did it about 10 days ago

not sure when it officially ends
                      --
                      Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

It was 'officially' free up until Dec 31st.

But it's still free.

Comment

It was also officially free up til mid-jan if you use disability access features..... Given I needed to use the on-screen keyboard to install Win7 (after it powered off my usb ports during install), I figured that qualified
                          --

Comment

Nah, assistive tech freebie route was what officially finished on 31st Dec. However, the Win10 activation servers remain on, so any Windows 7 key will still work, even if it's not been used to install 10 in the past.

Assistive tech also counts as 'using keyboard shortcuts'. So, ever used CTRL+C to copy some text? Excellent, free Windows 10 for you

Comment

high contrast theme is my excuse of choice for getting it xD
                              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                              Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X