Force desktop icons on to 'non main' monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force desktop icons on to 'non main' monitor

One of the offices at work has a dual screen set up. Due to some hardware requirements, they need the second monitor to be selected as the main monitor.

However, this forces all of the icons on to that screen as well. Does anyone know of a reliable, permanent way to force desktop icons to display on the 'non main' monitor?

This is on W7.

Thanks

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

I use display fusion pro and i'm sure that is able to do this. Worth a look!

Originally posted by Aria
    On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

I use dual screens at work. The icons stay where I put them, but they are all on my primary screen but they stay in order and shape. I do not expect them to move when I login or log off and they do not.
      My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Knight View Post
        I use dual screens at work. The icons stay where I put them, but they are all on my primary screen but they stay in order and shape. I do not expect them to move when I login or log off and they do not.
        The difference is, there could be up to 10 people using this machine each day, and they can't be expected to each rearrange their desktops each time they log in - not to mention that they will then log on to other machines which would reset the icon placement...

Comment

Can't you setup individual accounts for each user?
          My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

We can - we have over 600 users on that one domain, and thats the smallest of the 4 domains we manage for this site.

What I mean is, they would log on to that PC which has a dual screen set up. They would arrange the icons in a 'non standard' fashion. They would then go and log on to one of the other machines around the site, which is a single screen set up. There would be no second screen, so Windows will auto arrange the icons back on to monitor one/the main monitor. They would then come back to the dual screen set up, and the icons would again be on the main monitor, which is not where they are needed, and the user would have to rearrange the desktop again.

Comment

Ah yes, the joys of hot desking. Not an awful lot you can do unless you create him a separate login for his dual screen account.

Comment

Yeah.. I think I might have found an option, bit it's a 3rd party thing and not baked in to Windows. I'll post here again if it works though.

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post
                  I use display fusion pro and i'm sure that is able to do this. Worth a look!
                  Also check to see what comes with the graphics card and its control software. Nvidia control panel seems to do things that are beyond the scope of Windows.

But it is hard to think of any solution that will not require per-user settings.
                  Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                  Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                  Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Working...
                  X