I Wish They'd Get Their Act Together

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Wish They'd Get Their Act Together

I just updated to the latest feature version of Windows 10.
    I went to check the update history. Its empty.

Then I looked at the "Recovery" page and it says "This option is no longer available because your PC was upgraded more than 10 days ago."
    I literally just updated it.

Seriously... wtf? This is the latest in a long line of stupid **** that windows does nowadays.
    Basic functionality being removed. Simple stuff just not working as expected if at all.

Don't get me wrong. I love Windows 10, and I always recommend it to people. But there is so much stupid **** going on with the OS that it just bugs the **** out of me. Really just stupid stuff.

You can't change the desktop background colour.
    Can't customise the start menu. Change how many most used programs there are or pin any to the list.
    Ejecting USB devices rarely works.
    Settings, and the control panel. Pick one. Preferably the one THAT HAS ALWAYS WORKED IN THE PAST.
    One of the options in "Settings" (I forget which) causes the OS to rape your C drive with constant 100% usage. I've seen this on so many computers with W10.
    Why has the show desktop icon been changed to a slither on the taskbar. (I don't know anyone who knows what it is or where it is.)
    Why are folders displayed under "This PC". Why can't I choose to hide libraries? This is what you end up with,

Duplicates of everything!

After this latest update, I was able to uninstall OneDrive.. However, OneDrive doesn't disappear from the side bar in explorer.

I don't know why I'm writing a list. I could probably go on for days about the stupid stuff it does.

I love how it looks. I love the file explorer over 7 or 8's.

I just really wish they would sort their **** out.

EDIT: And now this **** is back

Last edited by luke22; 16-08-17, 12:52.

This new forum software is terrible. I can't create a simple link...

I also can't remove that link, as doing so and clicking save prompts me with an alert saying i need a valid link...

Comment

Aaaaaand breathe...

(Your links work fine for me.)

Originally posted by coiler
      Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

CAnt change the font size in win 10 - which is mega retarded if you run 1440p the default text is tiny, if you use the upscale thing in windows it makes the font go blurry. So stupid.
        GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

I switched away from Windows after I saw the mess they made with XP* and couldn't be happier. Honestly I don't know why people stick with Windows. Literally every other OS on the market is better and that has been the case for nearly the entire history of Windows since it's inception.

*XP progressed into something pretty good after a few service packs but when it was first released it was just an uglier and more memory and CPU hungry version of Win 2000.

Comment

The only real way to get rid of OneDrive is to remove it from the registry. It's not too difficult. I hate how it just won't go away and every time it thinks you want to log into it ... I do not. I have other means of cloud storage, but thanks for pushing your own **** on me, M$.

I too find it irritating how much just stops working after updates. At least they've not broken DHCP again, right?
            ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

every time i try to save .psd it prompts me to install onedrive....

every time i plug in some kind of storage device it doubles up too :s

i edited the post monkey, idk if that is a permissions thing or what but we shall see about it
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

I've really got no idea what your problem actually is, other than a need to have a big rant about Windows.

It works fine, and there are ways to find what you need.

He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
                Originally posted by BigIan88
                turn off that sexy nonsense
                Originally posted by Salad Soup
                turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

My problem is, that I paid for this ****. And its a ****ing mess to be completely honest.

Everything is getting worse and worse as far as Windows goes.

Again, don't get me wrong. I like a lot about 10, especially compared to previous ones. But its 2 steps forward and 5 steps back. They must be able to fix BASIC FEATURES.

FFS, windows costs A LOT of money to even use. Yet you can barely do anything with it. As in customisation.
                  Whereas if I use Debian, Arch (practically any unix distro), it just works. And if it doesn't, its easy to correct. If you don't like how something behaves, you have the ability to alter it.

If i don't want something installed on my system, i should be able to remove it. I can on a free OS, why can't I on an OS I paid for?

Its like paying for a TV license. You pay to have someone force **** down your throat. Its nonsense.

Comment

You paid for Windows 10?

What can't you customise that you'd like to? I'll try and give some pointers as to how I'd get around the issues you're having

It is possible to change the desktop background colour. Right click on the deskop background, choose personalize and then choose solid colour. Then choose your colour.
                    If you want to customise the start menu, why not use something like classic shell? You can have the win7 start menu back then.
                    I've not noticed that ejecting USB devices is any better or worse than previous versions. It wasn't really reliable then either.
                    I don't know what setting causes your PC to work at 100%, but then, neither do you
                    I assume the show desktop button has been made smaller to stop people hitting it by accident - just move the mouse in to the corner and click. It requires as much precision as any other version that's had that facility
                    If you don't like the folders, why don't you just minimise that section? it'll stay minimised until you maximise it gain

Hope that helps a bit
                    Last edited by Aaron; 17-08-17, 13:14.

Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Mordynak View Post
                      Whereas if I use Debian, Arch (practically any unix distro), it just works.

Use those then.

turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

I would love nothing more than to dump Windows all together. I've always been a windows person, but over the last few years its becoming more and more tedious.

Unfortunately there are a few things stopping me from switching completely. (Currently limited internet)
                        Only 30% of my steam library runs on linux natively. But nowadays i typically avoid buying games that are Windows exclusives.

Stuff like unreal engine also. Using it under linux is great. But currently there is no native launcher for it. So you are forced to compile from source. So any marketplace stuff or learning material has to be downloaded on windows first.

I recently uninstalled Avast (the stupid popups were getting beyond a joke). I've since been trying to use (suffer through) Windows Defender.
                        It keeps deleting php files from sites I've been working on. No Quarantine, nothing.

Comment

https://www.qubes-os.org/

i was about to switch my main pc to this so i can vm windows when i need to but life keeps getting in the way :s

i know a few that have made the switch and they're all saying it is amazbollz
                          "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                          Plato

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mordynak View Post
                              Whereas if I use Debian, Arch (practically any unix distro), it just works.
                              Linux != unix

But yeah, Linux usually "just works". Even the hands on distros are less painful than Windows. It amazes me anyone still uses Windows.

Comment

Working...
                              X