Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer large files to myself from remote server

Hi Guys

I have a private server in a data center that has just about run out of drive space. I access this server via RDP but am able to do what i want with it. I need to take a couple of files off the server onto my local PC to free up some space but one is 26gb and another is 12gb. Whats the best method of transfering this type of file size over the internet?

Cheers
    Mat

Originally posted by Aria
    On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Normally I'd just rsync the file but since you're RDPing I'm going to assume that it's Windows at both ends so you don't have OpenSSH (nor compatible) running?

Another option is the point to point transfer protocol based on bittorrent (i forget what it's called) as it will chunk your data meaning you can resume failed downloads.

However if you do have UNIXy tools installed (WSL / cygwin / mingw / whatever) then I would still recommend rsync.

Comment

Someone will probably be along to correct me but Filezilla used to pretty much be one of the most effective bits of software I used to use.
      Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
      Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

Originally posted by NickCPC View Post
        Someone will probably be along to correct me but Filezilla used to pretty much be one of the most effective bits of software I used to use.
        Definitely don't use FTP for this.
        • It doesn't support resume, so failed downloads would have to be restarted from scratch
        • It isn't encrypted
        • It isn't compressed
        • And there's no automatic verification (eg file checksuming) so any corruption during transport wouldn't be detected

This isn't a dig at you Nick but the sooner people stop recommending FTP the better. It's a nasty, horrible and massively outdated protocol. It has no place on the modern internet and has been superseded by literally hundreds of better protocols.
        Last edited by cold fusion; 18-01-17, 16:00.

Comment

^ take CF's advice!
          Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
          Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

For that size of data it must be able to resume if the connection drops. BitTorrent is a good idea as yes it's Windows both ends. Could I use any client (utorrent) for example?

On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

I was thinking more Bittorrent Sync as that offers a lot more privacy over the regular "share with everyone" style Bittorrent protocol. I've not used it myself but I've heard it's a good alternative to things like Dropbox and given you're requirements here, it might work really well too

https://www.resilio.com/individuals/

Comment

Do you have a Dropbox account? Or OneDrive? Or Google drive?

Anything you can install the client software at both ends and then just leave it syncing?

Originally posted by coiler
                Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Or, worst case scenario, split it in to fourteen 2gb parts and use we transfer or something

Comment

I have them all but none of them have that sort of space! Trying BitTorrent sync now.

Comment

Don't you get 1tb with Dropbox? And OneDrive? Or are you on the free version?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                        Don't you get 1tb with Dropbox? And OneDrive? Or are you on the free version?
                        Free on both so 1gb for dropbox and 20?gb for GoogleDrive

Resilio Sync worked a treat though. It was fast and easy to use. Cheers CF!

Comment

Working...
                        X