Linux Laptop Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Laptop Advice

Seriously considering going Linux full time now, I'm traditionally a Mac user and while OSX offers most of what I need I fancy going Linux full time as I spend about 60% of my day in the shell and much prefer the lightweight feel and usability of i3 window manager.

So, my question is, would you guys recommend any particular laptop (obvs with full support), I know there are a bunch out there but prefer to take personal recommendations, I know could convert my MacBook Pro but I'd make decent money selling it.

I'm not even that worried about moving to something second hand really, I just want full compatibility... but please, nothing with a crappy trackpad, that's the one thing that will drive me mental, I've been spoilt by my Mac

PS: Not being lazy, I've looked at a lot, but so many laptops are reviewed as Windows machines and I'd really like to get full time Linux users perspectives.
    PPS: Guess I should mention I rather like the Dell XPS 15 9560, this is the one that's stood out to me since I started looking, but most definitely not the 4k version though as scaling just doesn't work well (that I've found) under Linux, anyone using this model?
    Last edited by radial; 24-04-17, 19:40.
    PC: 4790K|H110i|Z97 Sabertooth Mk1|SLI GTX 980 SC|16 GB Beast 2400 MHz|2x850 Pro RAID0|W7|HX1000i|NZXT H440 SE|Dell U3415W|Genelec 8040a|Dacmagic Plus
    Mac Pro: Dual 6 Core X5690 Xeons|64 GB ECC|7970 Windforce 3|512 GB NVMe PCIe|2xWD Black 4 TB Raid 0|OS X 10.11.3|2x27" Apple Cinema Displays|KRK V4 Series 2

I've not used the Dell XPS. Currently I'm running a Samsung Chronos (I forget which model but it wasn't one of the low end ones). It's a really nice laptop and everything worked on ArchLinux out of the box (bar bluetooth but I never use that so haven't bothered investing any time trying to enable it). The trackpad is multi-touch as well.

I should add that my Chronos is about 3 or 4 years old now so not current gen. That said, still performs really well. Still get good battery life and never left waiting long even when compiling large projects from source.

The specs are something like Intel i5 (integrated graphics), 8GB RAM, 8GB SSD cache disk, 1TB HDD (I replaced this with an SSD).
    Last edited by cold fusion; 25-04-17, 08:33.

Comment

Thanks bud, I'll check it out
      PC: 4790K|H110i|Z97 Sabertooth Mk1|SLI GTX 980 SC|16 GB Beast 2400 MHz|2x850 Pro RAID0|W7|HX1000i|NZXT H440 SE|Dell U3415W|Genelec 8040a|Dacmagic Plus
      Mac Pro: Dual 6 Core X5690 Xeons|64 GB ECC|7970 Windforce 3|512 GB NVMe PCIe|2xWD Black 4 TB Raid 0|OS X 10.11.3|2x27" Apple Cinema Displays|KRK V4 Series 2

Comment

Did you go Linux in the end? What laptop did you buy?

Comment

i am tettering on the edge of switching my main machine to this :O

https://www.qubes-os.org/
          "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
          Plato

Comment

Originally posted by luke22 View Post
            i am tettering on the edge of switching my main machine to this :O

https://www.qubes-os.org/
            Oh wow that looks really cool. I remember reading a concept article probably close on 10 years ago by these guys and what they were describing sounded stupid at the time but thinking about it now, they were right to start then knowing how hardware capabilities move on an how long it takes to creating something that well polished.

I'm seriously tempted to wipe ArchLinux off my laptop and install that instead...

Comment

Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
              Did you go Linux in the end? What laptop did you buy?
              Sorry dude, it's been a while since I logged in, work keeps me away from a life.... I went with the XPS 15 9560 in the end and using Manjaro i3 build, absolutely love the laptop

Comment

Working...
              X