Configuring grub.cfg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring grub.cfg

Hey all, first time I've really dabbled with anything Linux/GRUB so bear with me.

Basically, I am setting up a multiboot stick that supports both UEFI (via Grub2 and bootx64.efi) and Legacy (via Grub4Dos and its MBR).

The legacy side of things is working brilliantly and UEFI grub2 boots but loading ISOs is proving troublesome. My grub.cfg looks like this (note Ubuntu is the only one I've set up in Grub2 for testing purposes):

Code:
    set timeout=10
    set default=0

menuentry 'Ubuntu Desktop 16.04' {
    set isofile="/iso/ubuntu-16_04-desktop-amd64.iso"
    loopback loop "/iso/ubuntu-16_04-desktop-amd64.iso"
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    Attempting to boot Ubuntu 16.04 gives this error:

Code:
    error: premature end of file (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi
    unaligned pointer 0x9e34aa48
    Aborted. Press any key to exit.
    I have a feeling I have just done something stupid with the menu entry but I cannot figure out what. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited by spleenharvester; 04-06-16, 22:30.
    Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i5-3380M | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Sandisk SSDPlus 120GB | Windows 10 Pro

Figured it out - \efi\boot\grubx64.efi was the problem. That file came from UEFI_MULTI which I originally tried to use to install Grub2 (later used Grub2Win when I got it working). Replacing it with the file in \efi\boot\g2bootmgr\grub2win.boot64.efi worked a treat.
    Last edited by spleenharvester; 04-06-16, 23:07.
    Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i5-3380M | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Sandisk SSDPlus 120GB | Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Glad you got it sussed. GRUB is is one of my biggest complaints about Linux. It's a bloody mess. Horrible stuff. I'm amazed anyone manages to dual boot given the default tools newbies are presented with

My advice is always ditch GRUB and use syslinux instead. Sadly most distros default to the crappy GNU monstrosity

Comment

Working...
      X