Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux install in a dual boot with windows 10 (Win on SSD raid, Linux o HDD partition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux install in a dual boot with windows 10 (Win on SSD raid, Linux o HDD partition)

I've got a windows 10 install on 2 SSD's in Raid 0 with a 75-80gb partition on a regular HDD that is empty and I want to install some form of Linux on there as a dual boot with windows just to have a play about and see how I get on .

I'm quite happy to learn as I go once installed but before then I don't potentially balls something up, so is there anything specific I should be doing/looking out for in order to get things installed and working nicely alongside windows.

Cheers
    "They're gonna find out
    I don't know who they are or what they're gonna find out
    But they're gonna find out
    And it's gonna be over real quick"

Generally it should 'just work' tbh. Most linux installers are pretty good about detecting an existing operating system and setting up multiboot. It's when you do it the other way around (linux first, then windows) that you tend to have problems, because Windows has a habit of pretending that any O/S other than a MS one doesn't exist.

Comment

If your running a software RAID, then don't install Linux as you'll likely nuke everything. If it's a hardware RAID then you should be fine.

Comment

It's raid running of my Motherboard so I should be fine and I've already got Windows installed so will be doing install what seems to be the correct way (Linux after windows).
        "They're gonna find out

Comment

Downloaded pinguy to try out, but says no detected OS

And my 120gb raid isn't showing up

Oh and this is said raid
          Last edited by darklighthim; 08-03-16, 17:51.
          "They're gonna find out

Comment

That doesn't look like it's picked up your RAID setup at all. If you get it to run live off of the USB and run 'lsblk' in the terminal, could you say what the result is?
            I like haikus
            But sometimes they don't make sense
            Refrigerator

Comment

Here's what I get from lsblk
              "They're gonna find out

Comment

I would take the idiot approach. (My style.) It reduces the risk that installing anything will wreck your existing operating system.

Remove/disconnect the Windows drive.

Install Linux on new drive.

You will have to mess around telling the PC to boot from a different drive for the Linux install, but you can then go back to the original Windows configuration, boot up and use something like EasyBCD to configure the multiple boot.

It has worked here with various Windows installs. I rarely upgrade without preserving the older operating system, just in case I want to revert.
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Dammit, I've been trying remeber EasyBCD but for the life of me I kept thinking of BCDedit and other such names. Didn't help when I could only boot into linux but may be useful If disconnect the SSD raid setup before running linux install then disconnecting that and loading windows to setup the 2 OS's.
                  "They're gonna find out

Comment

Sorry. I was being lazy. I should have added this:

For a small program that is essentially a freebie, EasyBCD is powerful and useful. Belongs on any PC, alongside Nirsoft's stuff and Sysinternals. I'm lazy, I use KLS SOFT - WSCC - Windows System Control Center to manage those.

The regimen you describe is essentially what I do, but I don't use Linux. No need for my bogstandard computing.
                    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                    Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

I really just want to try something new and apart from some gaming in the evening/night I mainly just use a brower and the odd notepad/office app plus an email app.
                      "They're gonna find out

Comment

So I installed Ubuntu Gnome onto my laptop dual booting with windows there and decided to play around with it on my desktop.

I found a post on another forum that said to run "sudo dmraid -ay" and this has managed to mount my SSD raid though I can't access it in the file manager. Also it it not being detected as a windows partition in the installer so I'm reluctant to go ahead with the install for now not that I'll do much harm I don't think.

"They're gonna find out

Comment

Have you actually got any storage space available for Linux? I don't quite understand how your array is made up, nor what partitions are available in that pool.

Also, I'm somewhat concerned that Linux is picking up the raw disks when you stated you're running a hardware RAID. this is highly irregular. How was it you created the RAID array?

Comment

Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
                            Have you actually got any storage space available for Linux? I don't quite understand how your array is made up, nor what partitions are available in that pool.

Also, I'm somewhat concerned that Linux is picking up the raw disks when you stated you're running a hardware RAID. this is highly irregular. How was it you created the RAID array?
                            My RAID array is made up of 2x60gb SSD's which are soley used for my windows 10 install and nothing else.
                            I then have an 80gb parition from a 500gb hard drive set aside for installing linux. The other partition of the 500gb drive is used for non-important files so app downloads, game mods...etc all of which I don't care about if i were to loose them

The RAID i'm running was created via my motherboard's onboard RAID.
                            "They're gonna find out

Comment

Originally posted by darklighthim View Post
                              My RAID array is made up of 2x60gb SSD's which are soley used for my windows 10 install and nothing else.
                              I then have an 80gb parition from a 500gb hard drive set aside for installing linux. The other partition of the 500gb drive is used for non-important files so app downloads, game mods...etc all of which I don't care about if i were to loose them

The RAID i'm running was created via my motherboard's onboard RAID.
                              Ahh I see. Then you should be fine just to install Linux on the 80GB partition. Ignore whatever Linux tells you about the SSD array, it doesn't matter since you're only writing to the 80GB partition. Make sure you write the boot menu (GRUB?) to the 80GB partition. Absolute worst case scenario, you can use the BIOS / UEFI as a boot menu and select which boot device to run at start up (most BIOSs / UEFIs give a dedicated hotkey to choose a boot device (eg F12) without having to go through the proper menus and save stuff).

Comment

Working...
                              X