Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

update your computers: glibc stack-based buffer overflow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update your computers: glibc stack-based buffer overflow.

The glibc DNS client side resolver is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow when the getaddrinfo() library function is used. Software using this function may be exploited with attacker-controlled domain names, attacker-controlled DNS servers, or through a man-in-the-middle attack.

Google has found some mitigations that may help prevent exploitation if you are not able to immediately patch your instance of glibc. The vulnerability relies on an oversized (2048+ bytes) UDP or TCP response, which is followed by another response that will overwrite the stack. Our suggested mitigation is to limit the response (i.e., via DNSMasq or similar programs) sizes accepted by the DNS resolver locally as well as to ensure that DNS queries are sent only to DNS servers which limit the response size for UDP responses with the truncation bit set.

[...]

The vectors to trigger this buffer overflow are very common and can include ssh, sudo, and curl. We are confident that the exploitation vectors are diverse and widespread; we have not attempted to enumerate these vectors further.

https://googleonlinesecurity.blogspo...nfo-stack.html
    I'm still wrapping my head around how to exploit and harden against this vulnerability, but from the outset it looks like it has some pretty nasty repercussions.
    Last edited by cold fusion; 16-02-16, 17:23.
Working...
X