What Distro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heavywater View Post
    Was in a bit of a rush when I wrote that, but by "Linux people" I didn't mean the users, I meant the proselytisers. Unfortunately there's a lot of fanboying on both sides of the divide with a total refusal to see that, just maybe, both sides actually do a lot of different things better. It is definitely narrowing now, even W10 has a package manager built into powershell (kind of, it's a start).

To be honest, the think I dislike most strongly about Linux is that most distros seem to have a GUI based off a deviantart mockup from 2007. But then I'm also getting progressive more put off by Microsoft's wacky design choices.
    To be fair, all GUIs these days feel like old mock up. Win 8 & 10 look like Windows 1.0. OS X hasn't changed significantly in 15 years. iOS now looks like Android 5 years ago. And half the Linux desktop environments either look like they're trying to be Windows / OS X - and failing - or look like they're trying to go the complete opposite direction (eg tiling window managers) and end up looking like something from the 80s.

These days I don't think it's possible for a GUI to be both modern / innovative and usable. There's only a finite number of ways you can tweak a UI to be productive - anything too "out of the box" ultimately ends up being either a massive learning curve or just plain horrible. So everything ends up looking kind of reminiscent of everything else.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
      These days I don't think it's possible for a GUI to be both modern / innovative and usable. There's only a finite number of ways you can tweak a UI to be productive - anything too "out of the box" ultimately ends up being either a massive learning curve or just plain horrible. So everything ends up looking kind of reminiscent of everything else.
      Mostly agree with that one, sometimes I think UI designers are changing things for the sake of changing things, basically because they are more interested in 'neat new ideas' than what users actually want.

Comment

I still believe that the Windows 10 UI is the best there is. Genuinely, its more consistent than ANY linux DE ive ever used and ive used a lot.
        I really don't see what everyones issue is with a simplified look. It may look simplified, but it has all the same capabilities of previous windows UI's plus a lot more. 10's file manager is easily the best I've ever used.

However, windows is becoming more and more a pain really, and Linux is looking more and more viable as a day to day OS for work and casual use. At least for me anyway. I like the way it handles software and updates, much prefer it to the windows way. But my major issue with linux is the lack of full featured software. It's getting better sure, but there are still a few things I would like to see in linux. A competitor to Foobar2000 would be nice for a start. I've yet to find anything even close to Foobar on linux.

One thing I both love and hate about linux is the choice. I love it cos you can kinda have it your way and do what you want with it. But I also hate it because there are so many derivatives that half the time you end up with a garbled mess of inconsistent looking programs/windows.

Interestingly, KDE Plasma 5 looks a lot like Windows 10 don't you think?
        https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Plasma_5.0.png

I bet a lot of KDE users still think windows looks like **** haha

Comment

Originally posted by Mordynak View Post
          I still believe that the Windows 10 UI is the best there is. Genuinely, its more consistent than ANY linux DE ive ever used and ive used a lot.
          I really don't see what everyones issue is with a simplified look. It may look simplified, but it has all the same capabilities of previous windows UI's plus a lot more. 10's file manager is easily the best I've ever used.

However, windows is becoming more and more a pain really, and Linux is looking more and more viable as a day to day OS for work and casual use. At least for me anyway. I like the way it handles software and updates, much prefer it to the windows way. But my major issue with linux is the lack of full featured software. It's getting better sure, but there are still a few things I would like to see in linux. A competitor to Foobar2000 would be nice for a start. I've yet to find anything even close to Foobar on linux.

One thing I both love and hate about linux is the choice. I love it cos you can kinda have it your way and do what you want with it. But I also hate it because there are so many derivatives that half the time you end up with a garbled mess of inconsistent looking programs/windows.

Interestingly, KDE Plasma 5 looks a lot like Windows 10 don't you think?
          https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Plasma_5.0.png

I bet a lot of KDE users still think windows looks like **** haha
          The problem isn't Linux DE's being inconsistent, it's to do with Linux applications using different GUI toolkits (GTK, Qt, Tk, etc). Heck, even the different versions of toolkits have their own theming and rendering (eg GTK+, GTK2, GTK3; Qt3, Qt4, Qt5). Then you have applications that don't seem to follow any convention at all (Java is terrible for this). It does take a little effort, but you can theme most applications to be more unified. However any Java et al applications that do their own thing are obviously always going to look disjointed.

It's worth noting that Windows does suffer from this as well albeit it might not be as bad in Windows 10. But Microsoft used to be terrible for not following their own design guidelines. eg some applications using ribbonbar while others wouldn't; Skype using a pseudo-web UI, etc. And let's be honest, the Metro vs Classic Desktop thing is hardly a model for consistency either. But at least with Windows, there's less faffing about to make things look right - albeit less overal scope for you, as a user, to apply your own design themes.

Comment

Working...
          X