Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favourite Linux game that can match windows?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Linux game that can match windows?

------------------------
    Last edited by Ice Tea; 11-11-16, 11:13.

I have recently built a Linux Game PC.... no Idea why ...just did... AMD 6800k with an Nvidia GTX 770 So far I've played Halflife 2 and Left for dead 2 ...both match if not better Windows for visuals and I have to say both seem more responsive.... going to be throwing some indy games on next week and having a play of those....

Metro Last Light * ( Not indy but hey)
    The Night Crisis Project

And as many of these as I can

http://www.lgdb.org/
    posted by scrivz69
    I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
    i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

There does seem to be some strange stuff around....some of the Jap stuff is...wel......just strange....lol... I will say that the gaming ability of a Linux build has surprised me....I think the hardest thing so far was installing the Nvidia Drivers on Linux Mint 17... may have just been my fingers but the command line just reduced me to a jelly lol... all it needs is a double click install process in all versions of Linux and I'm 100% sold.....
      posted by scrivz69
      i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Yeah was reading about that the other day..... I have to say I am a little gobsmacked at the prices some publishers want to charge for a niche gaming environment eg Wargame: Red Dragon 30..... surely you would start low to build a user base then when Linux Gaming becomes more mainstream you would price accordingly.... as it is it seems as if they are trying to stifle Linux Gaming before it gets going...
        posted by scrivz69

Comment

Originally posted by joker3327 View Post
          some of the Jap stuff is...wel......just strange....lol

--
          Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

I don't play many games these days, but I quite enjoyed Portal (I know it's not Linux only, but it is the most recent game I've played and most are multi-platform these days anyway)

Comment

Hmmm I tried playing left for dead 2 on my old PC before the upgrade but it just didn't run, trying planetary annihilation on my new computer hasn't worked well either I am disappointed so far...although I am using the open source drivers for my gfx card. I'm reluctant to install the proprietary stuff because of how much everything got messed up on my last system...

Comment

http://www.gamingonlinux.com Run by one of the forum members here...

Comment

Trine2 was worth the couple of quid I paid for it. Ran really well on *nix, as did FM2014. I quickly found out that I don't have the patience I used to have with Championship Manager 3 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Tea
                    I can't find the link but i was reading a couple of weeks back that it's starting to become questionable how viable Steam Linux will be as 90% of the current games are only released for Windows and consoles and if you try and Mod them to run on wine they mostly just glitch , crash or in game commands stop working.

Apparently this is going to become worse as the game houses move into DirectX 12 and Steam have said only a small selection of the games library can run on linux with no current plans for the best selling games such as call of duty.

Maybe Steam is hoping if they create a strong linux user base then it may encourage the big Gaming houses to either release games that will run on linux or maybe even develop stand alone linux titles.
                    Isn't Dx12 Windows 8 only? If so, then I could see many games studios being hesitant to upgrade. In fact it might even be enough to make some studios consider switching to OpenGL (though I suspect MS would sooner backport Dx12 to Win7 than see OpenGL (re-)adopted as the de facto standard 3D rendering libraries on the PC).

It's going to take a lot to displace the stranglehold Microsoft have on the PC gaming market; but i do also think their current position is now shakier than it's ever been.

Comment

Originally posted by joker3327 View Post
                      I've played Halflife 2 and Left for dead 2 ...both match if not better Windows for visuals
                      How does this work then?? better visuals in 'nux? Surely it'll be the same on both?
                      Originally posted by coiler
                      He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
                      Originally posted by BigIan88
                      turn off that sexy nonsense
                      Originally posted by Salad Soup
                      turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
                        I don't play many games these days, but I quite enjoyed Portal (I know it's not Linux only, but it is the most recent game I've played and most are multi-platform these days anyway)
                        You should grab Portal 2 next time it's on sale, hell it's one of the few games I paid full price for actually, definitely worth it in my opinion
                        i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

Originally posted by omega View Post
                          How does this work then?? better visuals in 'nux? Surely it'll be the same on both?
                          The drivers give better performance apparently.... l but as I said ...both match if not better !!

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ine_2014&num=5

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...play%20Drivers
                          posted by scrivz69

Comment

TBH in some games I think the textures actually appear sharper on linux as well. L4D2 is a prime example.
                            Why did the chicken cross the road?
                            To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Working...
                            X