Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manic malware Mayhem spreads through Linux, FreeBSD web servers

------------------------
    Last edited by Ice Tea; 11-11-16, 10:13.

"In the *nix world, autoupdate technologies aren't widely used, especially in comparison with desktops and smartphones."

Wow, theyre actually comparing enterprise software to consumer hardware.

While we're on the subject, I love pineapples but sometimes I wish they were a little more like doorbells.

Edit: for the benefit of those who don't know, there's a reason why Linux servers don't auto update, and it's the same reason why Windows servers don't either: testing and scheduled downtime. The last thing you want is your servers to go offline because of a bug or incompatibility with an update. Nor do you want services randomly restarting on live systems.

Downtime and random regression bugs are less of an issue on consumer devices like smart phones though (most of which also run *nix too, incidentally) so it makes a great deal more sense for them to run automatic updates.
    Last edited by cold fusion; 19-07-14, 00:50.

Comment

On a slightly related note, is it worth having an antivirus like clamav on my Linux box? I'm assuming Linux nasties are in the rise...

Comment

Originally posted by waba View Post
        On a slightly related note, is it worth having an antivirus like clamav on my Linux box? I'm assuming Linux nasties are in the rise...
        I've never bothered running anything - Android nasties are on the rise, I just utilise some common sense, I update my security packages, don't run silly stuff and avoid Java/Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielWilliamson View Post
          I've never bothered running anything - Android nasties are on the rise, I just utilise some common sense, I update my security packages, don't run silly stuff and avoid Java/Flash.
          Java/flash isn't the easiest to avoid. Its everywhere!

Comment

I've not used them for about 8 months now, I don't rely on Java for anything, Flash most of my flash needs are now HTML5 and anything else I just play via mPlayer. Terminal is good for YouTube output to your player of choice.

Comment

Working...
            X