Need a replacement OS which is an alternative to anything MS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a replacement OS which is an alternative to anything MS

Ok, i have a old Skt 775 with a Q6600 which i want to put to got use, trouble is i have lost the windows key and dont want to pay for a new one, so time to try something different, but which one is best?
    Main use will be browsing and apps, would like to run a few games if possible and benches but if i cant then so me it, i have just installed Ubuntu 11.4 just to see if it works still, would it be better to install a newer version or any better OS out there, free or cheap

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with Ubuntu 11.04. The oldest you should be running would be 12.04 and that's because it's an LTS release (Long Term Release) which means you'll get support until 2017. Personally I'd recommend giving Linux Mint a try, which is based on Ubuntu but has a little more polish in my personal opinion. However either of the two versions of ubuntu here (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop) would also work.

Since you're new to Linux and would like to try gaming, don't bother with anything outside of Ubuntu or Mint. Other distributions of Linux will support Steam, but it might not be as simple to set up as it will be with Ubuntu / Mint.

Just out of interest, how uncharted is this territory for you? I can post some basic hints to help you get started if you'd be interested? (I only ask because sometimes Windows users come to Linux expecting it to behave the same and getting annoyed when it doesn't. That's not to say that Linux isn't a great desktop, it's just as different to Windows as OS X is also different to Windows - if that makes sense?)

Comment

I have used it in very small doses, dont know enough in terms of what OS does what, but as far as getting around goes it seems simple enough, im not going to be using it that often, although that could change in the future, i will download from you link now and if i get stuck i will let you know, thanks for the reply most helpful

Comment

Linux Mint in my opinion is far better for windows bred users ( like Me lol)...also games wise have you thought of trying Steam OS
        posted by scrivz69
        I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
        i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Originally posted by joker3327 View Post
          Linux Mint in my opinion is far better for windows bred users ( like Me lol)...also games wise have you thought of trying Steam OS
          Is SteamOS any good as a desktop OS though? (I didn't recommend it because I wasn't sure if it was a practical desktop OS or whether it's just a gaming / media centre OS).

Originally posted by TAZ007 View Post
          I have used it in very small doses, dont know enough in terms of what OS does what, but as far as getting around goes it seems simple enough, im not going to be using it that often, although that could change in the future, i will download from you link now and if i get stuck i will let you know, thanks for the reply most helpful
          Well the most important thing to remember is not to try and download and install your own software. Install everything through the software centre, just like you install Android / iOS applications from their respective app stores.

Comment

Linux Mint in my opinion is far better for windows bred users ( like Me lol)...
            Mint would be my choice, have it on a laptop and a netbook at home, lovely OS
            Originally posted by {SAS}TB
            Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

I have to say STEAMOS does look viable......

I just did a search fro screenshots.... and saw this ....

Looks like that quick list thing they tried on Netbooks....... will no more after this weekend ...Building a steambox lol.... ( something to do )
              Last edited by joker3327; 15-02-14, 11:51.
              posted by scrivz69
              i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

I use Puppy Linux which is very easy to use.
                There are versions based on Ubuntu binaries so can use most of the Ubuntu repositories as well as Puppy's own.
                One of the reasons I like it is that it is small with just the basic things built in. Anything extra or different you can add easily. There are tools to remove the stuff you don't want that is in the basic package. It is dead easy even for me as a Windows person to drive it and even, should I want to, build my own installation media from an existing install. There are many special interest versions that people have built doing just that.
                I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                Dave Burnett

Comment

Joker, steamos was designed to be a media centre os and has a debugging desktop: by no means is it meant to be used as a normal desktop environment. Also, it's based on the current Debian stable branch, so all updates from the 'app store' will be glacial at best.
                  Just because everyone else is doing it, I would recommend kubuntu as it has all of the nicer features of Ubuntu such as the software centre and easy driver installation, with the more friendly to Windows converts KDE desktop. You have two options for the version: 12.04 (the LTS release as cold fusion mentioned) or the latest version 13.10 which has support until the next version is released.
                  I like haikus
                  But sometimes they don't make sense
                  Refrigerator

Comment

Originally posted by Blue4 View Post
                    Joker, steamos was designed to be a media centre os and has a debugging desktop: by no means is it meant to be used as a normal desktop environment. Also, it's based on the current Debian stable branch, so all updates from the 'app store' will be glacial at best.
                    Just because everyone else is doing it, I would recommend kubuntu as it has all of the nicer features of Ubuntu such as the software centre and easy driver installation, with the more friendly to Windows converts KDE desktop. You have two options for the version: 12.04 (the LTS release as cold fusion mentioned) or the latest version 13.10 which has support until the next version is released.
                    Strange I thought it was designed as a Gaming OS for the front room / TV

Steam is coming to a new operating system
                    As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
                    environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
                    SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
                    It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Well seems to be working just fine as a desktop environment here !!! note I did say the word viable...meaning

capable of working successfully; feasible.
                    "the proposed investment was economically viable"
                    synonyms: workable, feasible, practicable, practical, applicable, usable, manageable, operable, operational, possible, within the bounds/realms of possibility, within reach, within reason, likely, achievable, attainable, accomplishable, realizable, reasonable, sensible, realistic, logical, useful, of use, serviceable, suitable, expedient, effective, valid, tenable; More

Anyway the suggestion was aimed more at the gaming side the OP wanted if you look up you will see I preferred Mint!
                    posted by scrivz69

Comment

Strange I thought it was designed as a Gaming OS for the front room / TV

Steam is coming to a new operating system
                      As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
                      environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
                      SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
                      It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Well seems to be working just fine as a desktop environment here !!! note I did say the word viable...meaning

capable of working successfully; feasible.
                      "the proposed investment was economically viable"
                      synonyms: workable, feasible, practicable, practical, applicable, usable, manageable, operable, operational, possible, within the bounds/realms of possibility, within reach, within reason, likely, achievable, attainable, accomplishable, realizable, reasonable, sensible, realistic, logical, useful, of use, serviceable, suitable, expedient, effective, valid, tenable; More

Anyway the suggestion was aimed more at the gaming side the OP wanted if you look up you will see I preferred Mint!
                      Sorry for asking such a dumb question, but you do know the difference between a media centre interface and a desktop interface? There's nothing in what you've posted that says it would be a practical desktop OS. And I find it a bit disingenuous that you'd recommend someone an OS based on no usage and only a couple of screenshots you've found online. So why not leave the recommendations to those who actually are familiar with Linux and/or SteamOS instead of posting your own guesswork?

However even that aside, it's just stupid to recommend a beta OS as a replacement for Windows. *buntu and Mint are a much safer choice at this point in time; regardless of SteamOS's desktop support. Just like how you'd never recommend users aren't familiar with Windows to run any new version of Windows pre-SP1 (as the saying goes, let the power users beta test the new releases)
                      Last edited by cold fusion; 15-02-14, 12:19.

Comment

Originally posted by cold fusion View Post
                        Sorry for asking such a dumb question, but you do know the difference between a media centre interface and a desktop interface? There's nothing in what you've posted that says it would be a practical desktop OS. And I find it a bit disingenuous that you'd recommend someone an OS based on no usage and only a couple of screenshots you've found online. So why not leave the recommendations to those who actually are familiar with Linux and/or SteamOS instead of posting your own guesswork?

However even that aside, it's just stupid to recommend a beta OS as a replacement for Windows. *buntu and Mint are a much safer choice at this point in time; regardless of SteamOS's desktop support. Just like how you'd never recommend users aren't familiar with Windows to run any new version of Windows pre-SP1 (as the saying goes, let the power users beta test the new releases)

Note...... " Well seems to be working just fine as a desktop environment here !!! " note I did say the word viable...meaning

Besides he wanted it for surfing and gaming.... and I did actually recommend MINT......

You have actually posted without actually reading the post you think is offending...you going back to your old ways again?....

As I find your post patronising and rude......

Oh and sorry for posting whislt using steamOS as my operating system and using a keyboard and mouse to do it on my media centre interface and also whislt not being a power user ....
                        Last edited by joker3327; 15-02-14, 16:25.
                        posted by scrivz69

Comment

Note...... " Well seems to be working just fine as a desktop environment here !!! " note I did say the word viable...meaning
                          I assumed that was a quote as it sounded like you ripped that from some other forum and hadn't put [quote] tags around it and prior to that post you said you hadn't run it personally (hence the screenshots you posted).

Anyhow, my point about early adopters is still valid. I'd be nervous about recommending any first generation OS to someone who's new to the platform.

you going back to your old ways again?....
                          The only thing that changed was your perception of me. Maybe for a brief period you realised that I'm not a complete barstool; just an opinionated individual like yourself
                          Last edited by cold fusion; 15-02-14, 18:19.

Comment

another vote for Mint. Easy enough to for ex-windows users to get a grip of with only a few hours of learning. Worked on about a dozen different configurations so far, only problem has been printer drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by oneman View Post
                              another vote for Mint. Easy enough to for ex-windows users to get a grip of with only a few hours of learning. Worked on about a dozen different configurations so far, only problem has been printer drivers.
                              Were you using CUPS?

Comment

Working...
                              X