No announcement yet.

New for linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I come across installed with linux open suse on different laptop , After installed it got a problem with my laptop couldn't find wireless adaptor driver, I can't use internet from wireless. But I can use through ethernet port, Has anybody know how can I fix that? Thank you

Comment

check the laptop manufactures website for linux drivers.

Comment

I'd think it's unlikely the manufacturer would have the linux driver, worth a shot thogh. You'll need to find the adaptor make/model and then hit up google for opensuse drivers I'm afraid
        Originally posted by {SAS}TB
        Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

What wireless card is it? (as above)
          Last edited by Burn-IT; 31-10-13, 22:06.
          I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
          Dave Burnett

Comment

Originally posted by jaff90110 View Post
            Now I come across installed with linux open suse on different laptop , After installed it got a problem with my laptop couldn't find wireless adaptor driver, I can't use internet from wireless. But I can use through ethernet port, Has anybody know how can I fix that? Thank you
            I wouldn't bother trying to compile your own Linux drivers - if it doesn't work out of the box with the latest Ubuntu (or whatever distro you're running) ISO then give up on running native Linux drivers (as that should all work out of the box if there is native drivers available). Instead I think you'll be better off using ndiswrapper with Windows drivers. (ndiswrapper is a wrapper to use Windows drivers on Linux - though it's mainly just used for wireless drivers)

Comment

That is a last resort depending on the make of card.
              Dave Burnett

Comment

Originally posted by Burn-IT View Post
                That is a last resort depending on the make of card.
                If you're already running the latest kernel then you're already at the last resort as all the big distros ship wireless drivers for all the main chipsets by default, so looking for and compiling your own drivers is a pretty pointless exercise (plus massively more complicated for a newbie than ndiswrapper). The exception being Linux drivers that are experimental / unstable - and in those instances I've found that ndiswrapper with stable Windows drivers works better than any experimental native Linux driver (anecdotally speaking, obviously)

In an ideal world, we'd all be running native Linux ko's built from open source code. But in the real world, device manufacturers rebrand hardware, release closed binary blobs and often ignore FOSS entirely. So sometimes we just have to make do kludges like ndiswrapper. But for wireless, I don't think it really matters since the throughput of WiFi will never bottleneck with the CPU overhead required for an additional compatibility layer on top of a user space driver and then the subsequent switching between kernel and user space. If we were talking about a graphics, file system or even ethernet NIC drivers, then that would be a different matter (eg I don't agree with running ntfs-3g as that's a FUSE local file system driver), but WiFi is fine being sat in user space like this.
                Last edited by cold fusion; 31-10-13, 22:37.

Comment

I would still like to see what card as there just might be another reason it isn't being found.

I think it is Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Integrated Wireless LAN and the drivers for that SHOULD be found.
                  Last edited by Burn-IT; 31-10-13, 22:36.
                  Dave Burnett

Comment

Originally posted by Burn-IT View Post
                    I would still like to see what card as there just might be another reason it isn't being found.

I think it is Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Integrated Wireless LAN and the drivers for that SHOULD be found.
                    Well as I said, OEMs sometimes rebrand chipsets. In those instances the OP could read the contents of dmesg and lsmod to determine what the chipset is identifying itself as, then hack Intels drivers (which are open source), but that's more trouble than it's worth.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the drivers are working correctly and the device just isn't 'upping' itself automatically. A quick look at ifconfig -a (or ip addr if the distro in question has depreciated ifconfig) to see if the device has been loaded. Then there's a whole bunch of stuff that can be done with CLI tools prefixed with iw to manually turn on the wireless radio. Someone will have to google that bit though because I can't remember how to do that off the top of my head. But essentially the issue is with Linux not powering on the wireless device - so obviously the device can't scan for wifi channels, broadcast for a DHCP server, and so on.

[edit]

in fact the more I think about it, the more I think that last bit is more likely than a driver problem since Intel chipsets are usually pretty trustworthy in Linux.
                    Last edited by cold fusion; 31-10-13, 22:49.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't find any wireless driver on linux, They don't have a driver for this laptop.
                      Anyway now I end up with another laptop now which HP Presario 300 with the Linux mint. Now I have a problem with the mouse, It was work for a while then after an hour it's not work, It can move but I can use mouse to click it. I tried disable and enable but it doesn't make any different. I reboot it and use it after about an hour again stop working. But keyboard still working ok. Does anyone know what 's the problem.
                      I have tried looking for a touchpad driver for linux for this laptop but can't find it. Where can I get this driver?

Comment

Unfortunately I can't find any wireless driver on linux, They don't have a driver for this laptop.
                        Anyway now I end up with another laptop now which HP Presario 300 with the Linux mint. Now I have a problem with the mouse, It was work for a while then after an hour it's not work, It can move but I can use mouse to click it. I tried disable and enable but it doesn't make any different. I reboot it and use it after about an hour again stop working. But keyboard still working ok. Does anyone know what 's the problem.
                        I have tried looking for a touchpad driver for linux for this laptop but can't find it. Where can I get this driver?
                        First of all, your approach to Linux is all wrong. While you're right that with Windows, if something doesn't work right then you look for 3rd party drivers. However that's absolutely the last thing you do in Linux (generally speaking). And you definitely don't Google for and then download those drivers manually (if it's not autoloaded and not in your distributions repositories (eg you cannot apt-get it) then compiling your own drivers is a very bad idea unless you're a seasoned Linux user who knows exactly what they're doing!

re your old laptop: I'm still certain that your Intel wireless radio would have worked with the existing drivers, not just because Intel are one of the best supported manufacturers on Linux, but also because I'm running Linux on a new Intel wireless radio right now. You're problem would have been elsewhere and it would have been a config issue.

As for your mouse / touchpad, which is it that isn't working? I assume you mean your touchpad isn't working and when you're referring to a 'mouse' you mean the on-screen 'cursor' rather than a physical hardware input device you've connected up via USB? Either way, it will be a config issue in your Xorg config and not a driver issue (if it was a driver issue the thing wouldn't work to begin with - so you've clearly already got the synaptics input drivers loaded).

Most of the time, the problem with Linux is config. Sometimes it will be bad defaults, sometimes it will be because some kind of auto-detection script didn't quite work correct, sometimes it will be because a particular program / driver doesn't work at all until it's been manually configured. But the vast majority of the time the problem can be fixed with a config file edit. Which is one of Linux's greatest strengths as you don't have the driver hell that Windows has, but it's also one of Linux's greatest weaknesses because you can lose days tracking down a fault if the config files are poorly documented.

Sadly I can't help much with your touchpad issue because I've not tinkered about much with Xorg's config file since they tinkered with the structure of them (which was about 3 or so years ago).

Just out of interest, what Linux distribution are you running?
                        Last edited by cold fusion; 09-11-13, 10:34.

Comment

Thank you for your explain. I really don't know how to fix it as I 'm don't have any knowledge about linux, Talking about Xorg config what are they? And where can I fix them? Where can I find out what is Linux distribution that I have running ? I saw on the welcome screen said Linux mint 15 Olivia and Cinamon32 bits.

Comment

Thank you for your explain. I really don't know how to fix it as I 'm don't have any knowledge about linux, Talking about Xorg config what are they? And where can I fix them? Where can I find out what is Linux distribution that I have running ? I saw on the welcome screen said Linux mint 15 Olivia and Cinamon32 bits.
                            Xorg is the display server, which is a little hard to explain exactly what it is because Windows doesn't have a like-for-like equivalent. But essentially it's the bit that "glues" your display drivers, input devices and GUI all together.

a linux distribution (or distro for short) is just the ISO you downloaded. Eg you're running Linux Mint 15.

re your fault, the first place to any issues is the logs. When your touchpad freezes, does your keyboard still work? if so, that makes things a lot easier. first of all, install pastebinit (you can get that from the Software Manager which I presume you're already familiar with? But if not, it's basically a GUI program than manages downloading and installing all of your programs - a little bit like Windows Update, except Software Manager will have a whole lot of 3rd party stuff from games through to productivity suites. This should be the only place you install applications from; apart from apt-get / aptitude which are command line versions of the same thing)

Once pastebinit is installed, wait for your touchpad to stop working, when that happens, press [ctrl]+[alt]+[F1] which will switch you to a scary wall of text and a log in prompt. Login then type these commands in:
                            Code:
                            tail /var/log/messages | pastebinit
                            then post the pastebin.com URL, which will have the contents of the log file "/var/log/messages"
                            (note: the '|' character is called 'pipe' and it's the character above '\' on your keyboard. It's not a lower case 'L' nor an upper case 'i')

you can get back to your desktop by pressing [ctrl]+[alt]+[F7]

Comment

You mentioned you are running Mint 15. Have you run all the updates ? My netbook didn't pick up all the drivers until I did that.

Comment

Working...
                              X