Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New for linux

Hi
    I'm new for linux here and thinking about to install the Linux system alongside with win XP on my laptop, Just wondering what linux system can be suit with my laptop which is old. Don't want a really good high performance one, Here is my Laptop spec:

Compaq presario C300
    CUP 1.60ghz.
    1 gb ram
    HDD 100 gb
    And where can I download the Linux system, If could be help if there is the instruction to install as well. Thank you

Pretty much any Linux "distro" (what us nerds call the variations of Linux) should work on those specs, but I'd probably recommend Xubuntu as it's based on Ubuntu (the biggest of the user friendly distros) but is a little more performance tuned.

See how you get on with Xubuntu, if it runs smoothly and you fancy more bling, then there's Mint (also based on Ubuntu) and also regular Ubuntu. But if Xubuntu is a little sluggish then there's a multitude of other distros out there that are easy to use and much more lightweight.

Comment

linux is just the core part of the operating. Various distributions like Debian and Ubuntu add on the bits that actually make it usable.

Personally for older PC I use Mint with Mate. Looks fairly close to windows, good support for wide range of hardware and comes with a good range software built in.

http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by oneman View Post
        linux is just the core part of the operating. Various distributions like Debian and Ubuntu add on the bits that actually make it usable.

Personally for older PC I use Mint with Mate. Looks fairly close to windows, good support for wide range of hardware and comes with a good range software built in.

http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php
        Would second this, any of the 'lighter' mint variations would be perfect
        Originally posted by {SAS}TB
        Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

I use Puppy Linux.
          There are versions based on Ubuntu , Debian, and Slax. I use a Debian one. It is designed to be easy for Windows users to pick up. It is also designed to be able to work on older machines.
          I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
          Dave Burnett

Comment

Thanks guy, Just downloaded the Mint one but got another problem, I'm going to use a usb disk to install it, I used the usb disk which is I had run a hitman pro before but after I formatted with ISO to USB then put the iso. file in, it still boot from hitman pro. How can I format all the those hitman pro software. Sorry if it doesn't make any sense!

Comment

try unetbootin: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
              Originally posted by {SAS}TB
              Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

Originally posted by Burn-IT View Post
                I use Puppy Linux.
                There are versions based on Ubuntu , Debian, and Slax. I use a Debian one. It is designed to be easy for Windows users to pick up. It is also designed to be able to work on older machines.
                To be honest I'm not a big fan of Puppy. The last time I used it, it seemed to lack a lot of polish. Particularly with how well CrunchBang, ArchBang, ElementaryOS and even (to a lesser degree) Lubuntu perform and look.

I know aesthetics aren't the be-all and end-all (plus it's pretty trivial to reskin most DEs on any distro to look like your favourite other distro / DE) and I know Puppy is does a lot of other things right, but I just struggled to find the love for Puppy.

That said, I really don't like Ubuntu either - so probably shouldn't suggested X/Lubuntu

Comment

When was the last time you used it?
                  One of the things about Puppy is that nearly every release looks different to the previous one.
                  I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                  Dave Burnett

Comment

Originally posted by Burn-IT View Post
                    When was the last time you used it?
                    One of the things about Puppy is that nearly every release looks different to the previous one.
                    about a year ago. Maybe 18 months.

Comment

What's changed recently with you cold fusion?.apart from your name change that is..... Whatever it was I like it.... I've even taken you off my ignore list....
                      posted by scrivz69
                      I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                      i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Debian GNU/Linux

Originally posted by jaff90110 View Post
                        Hi
                        I'm new for linux here and thinking about to install the Linux system alongside with win XP on my laptop, Just wondering what linux system can be suit with my laptop which is old. Don't want a really good high performance one, Here is my Laptop spec:

Compaq presario C300
                        CUP 1.60ghz.
                        1 gb ram
                        HDD 100 gb
                        And where can I download the Linux system, If could be help if there is the instruction to install as well. Thank you
                        I would be tempted to try Debian GNU/Linux.

Here are links to help you decide.

Getting Debian: http://www.debian.org/distrib/

Installing Debian via the Internet: http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

Installation Guide: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

Hope this helps.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by jaff90110 View Post
                          Thanks guy, Just downloaded the Mint one but got another problem, I'm going to use a usb disk to install it, I used the usb disk which is I had run a hitman pro before but after I formatted with ISO to USB then put the iso. file in, it still boot from hitman pro. How can I format all the those hitman pro software. Sorry if it doesn't make any sense!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ce58Bs0L7I

Comment

Originally posted by joker3327 View Post
                            What's changed recently with you cold fusion?.apart from your name change that is..... Whatever it was I like it....
                            You must be thinking of his avatar.

Comment

lubuntu, Peppermint os, puppy, tiny core,
                              you could also try chrome os

Comment

Working...
                              X