NEW Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Got released today......anyone using it? Gonna review it? Might dual boot with xp.........

i'll dist upgrade in about a few weeks once the repos have settled down
    liking that XBMC is now part of the official repo
    BLACK 'n' BLUE: X3360:: P5Q-E::4GB Ballistix::2x6850::Zalman GS1000 Plus case
    Kitchen: E2140@2.0::GA-G31M S2L::2GB Geil::Low Profile GF210

Comment

yeah i saw that! might move my pc to the front room and link it to the tv......

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grapes View Post
        i'll dist upgrade in about a few weeks once the repos have settled down
        liking that XBMC is now part of the official repo
        Yeah, but if you are thinking of running it as a HTPC then you're really better off with XBMCbuntu

Comment

ahhhh i have both...
          the kitchen PC has Ubuntu 11.10 full with XBMC installed for watching stuff and the HTPC has XBMC live (still on dharma...) until i upgrade it either to the new xbmcbuntu or openELEC.

Comment

ahhh nice setup

Comment

Meh, might upgrade my sister's laptop to it at some point. I run Archlinux and have no intentions of downgrading
              Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
              Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

Hah... lol

unfortunately i don't have the time for a disti like arch anymore. it has to reasonably just work(TM) and to date ubuntu is still the only one that comes anywhere near that sentiment.

Comment

Hah... lol

unfortunately i don't have the time for a disti like arch anymore. it has to reasonably just work(TM) and to date ubuntu is still the only one that comes anywhere near that sentiment.
                  Arch seems to mostly take care of itself now. Every now and again I encounter a bug but on the whole it's been great.

I would have thought Debian (unstable) would "Just work" better than Ubuntu.
                  Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
                  Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

possibly... i've never tried it out tbh. (ok, i just like the ubuntu bling better... THERE I SAID IT! are you happy now )

Comment

MINT .....
                      posted by scrivz69
                      I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                      i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

possibly... i've never tried it out tbh. (ok, i just like the ubuntu bling better... THERE I SAID IT! are you happy now )
                        Arch + KDE.

runs leaner, faster, moar bling, pretty much manages itself and less crappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Plan9 View Post
                          Arch + KDE.

runs leaner, faster, moar bling, pretty much manages itself and less crappy.
                          I run Arch + Xmonad (Tiling window manager) + nitrogen (for wallpaper) + Xmobar (For system tray) + Dmenu (To launch apps) + 10 urxvt windows

EDIT: With firefox that all uses 989Mb of Ram..... and I'm fairly sure somthing has a memory leak as that's high for this system. I have 12Gb of ram for when I fire up VM's.
                          Last edited by Lorem-Ipsum; 27-04-12, 22:55.

Comment

I will install is on my server and VPS (headless) but not on any desktop machine. I am not a fan of Unity (nor Gnome 3). Arch FTW.

Comment

Might give this a go on my netbook (specs in sig), been looking at ubuntu for a while now. For all the arch fans, I'll give Arch + KDE a go too
                              PC: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI, 2 x 4 GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz, XFX 7870 LE.
                              Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad X220 - IntelCore i5 2520M @ 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X