Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Desktop Linux" guys: what's your distro of choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Desktop Linux" guys: what's your distro of choice?

No flame wars nor elitism please.
    Just curious what you guys run on your laptop / desktop
    Please don't vote with your server choices.
    ArchLinux
    5.41%
    CentOS
    5.41%
    DSL
    0.00%
    Debian
    2.70%
    Fedora
    5.41%
    Gentoo
    2.70%
    Mint
    8.11%
    OpenSuse
    2.70%
    Puppy
    5.41%
    Slackware
    0.00%
    Ubuntu (Xbuntu / Kubuntu / etc)
    59.46%
    Other (please specify)
    2.70%
    Last edited by cold fusion; 16-09-11, 12:04.

I dual boot my Internet PC with Win 7 Pro and Mint..... going to have a dabble with ArchLinux at some point as I have heard good reports...
    posted by scrivz69
    I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
    i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Originally posted by joker3327 View Post
      I dual boot my Internet PC with Win 7 Pro and Mint..... going to have a dabble with ArchLinux at some point as I have heard good reports...
      I'm basically a full time Arch user - both at home and work too now that I've been there long enough to dictate what OS I run.

So yeah, I love it. But what I like about it might well be what put others off (horses for courses and all)

Comment

unbuntu but i am thinking about switching to something else for the craptop
        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
        Plato

Comment

I'm a Linux server man for sure, but I find it just too hard to work with other businesses, file formats, support reasons to use Linux as a desktop full time.

My netbook, flits between Ubuntu Netbook and the default Xandros depending on what mood I'm in at the time, the built in storage is Xandros but Ubuntu netbook runs just as well off USB bootables.

It's too difficult for me of little brain to remember, Start>programs> etc etc when I'm typing /opt/......
          Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
          Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
            I'm a Linux server man for sure, but I find it just too hard to work with other businesses, file formats, support reasons to use Linux as a desktop full time.
            Same here really, I use Linux for any servers, firewall, NAS etc. but have to use Windows for my desktop for practicality really. A few years ago I did go for several months without Windows but ended up working a lot harder trying to get certain applications running properly though WINE and alike

Comment

Ubuntu is for noob.

CentOS all the way!

Comment

Not a massive Linux user but I've tried Mint a few times and it ticked all the relevant boxes for me.

CPU - Intel i5 4670K @ 4Ghz, Mobo - MSI Z87-GD65, Memory -
                16GB Patriot Viper, GPU - Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Gaming, SSD -
                Samsung 840 Pro,
                Display - Achieva Shimian QH270, Case - Corsair 600T SE

Comment

when i first switched to linux i started with ubuntu as that is what everyone recommended to start off with. iv been pretty happy with it so havnt changed since...

Comment

Ubuntu & BT4 are my weapons of choice
                    i5-2500K@ (4.3GHz) - Z68X - NH-D14 - GTX 580 TwinFrozrII - BitFenix Shinobi - TX650 - 8GB RipJawZ 2133Mhz - lots of fans & a fan controller !

Comment

Originally posted by asha1 View Post
                      Ubuntu & BT4 are my weapons of choice
                      What's BT4?

Comment

Originally posted by Plan9 View Post
                        What's BT4?
                        BackTrack 4, it was designed around penetration testing/computer forensics, I've always used it as i will be going into the computer security field, a really very brilliant OS, and it's free !
                        i5-2500K@ (4.3GHz) - Z68X - NH-D14 - GTX 580 TwinFrozrII - BitFenix Shinobi - TX650 - 8GB RipJawZ 2133Mhz - lots of fans & a fan controller !

Comment

Originally posted by asha1 View Post
                          BackTrack 4, it was designed around penetration testing/computer forensics, I've always used it as i will be going into the computer security field, a really very brilliant OS, and it's free !
                          Oh that.

I've heard people rave about that before but to be honest i've not seen the point personally as Linux users can just install the networking tools they want into what ever distro they prefer (as there's little more to BT beyond that).

That said, I guess having everything you need in one install does have it's benefits.

Comment

Recently i used sabayon 6, ububtu, arch and mandriva. From all of them for my laptop i choose mandriva for server centos and for linux fun box arch.

Sent from my Desire S using Tapatalk

Comment

NOT A GREAT FAN OF LINUX BUT used it for a while at work.It's great OS .

Comment

Working...
                              X