Live linux gamers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live linux gamers...

Anybody tried the gaming distro live linux gamers?

I just stumbled across it today, thought I'd download it and give it a go...

It's a live DVD (so you don't have to install anything, don't even need a harddrive), full of popular linux games...

I'll let you know how it goes, but I can see this becoming a permanent addition to one of my USB sticks
    Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

sound like that could be fun at college when we have some spare time.
    Thermaltake Element s - Q6600 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.48V - Corsair H50 - 6GB RAM - GTX260 192Core @ 729/1458/1224 - ATI 3450 - Biostar Tpower I45 - Corsair Force 60GB SSD - Samsung f3 500GB apps - Xigmatek 700W NRP-PC702 - 3x 17inch screens - windows 7 64bit

Comment

Dammit. I downloaded the "big" version without paying attention to file size... It's too big to fit on any of my thumb drives... Guess I'll have to burn it
      Why did the chicken cross the road?
      To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

ooo this sounds interesting!! i always found the live cds ran slowly though, wont that affect the games?

i like that it supports network boot...lan party

Comment

Depends on the live CD, if it goes fully to ram should be fast!

Comment

Originally posted by FunkY View Post
            Anybody tried the gaming distro live linux gamers?

I just stumbled across it today, thought I'd download it and give it a go...

It's a live DVD (so you don't have to install anything, don't even need a harddrive), full of popular linux games...

I'll let you know how it goes, but I can see this becoming a permanent addition to one of my USB sticks
            Is this the one that's based on ArchLinux?

If so, I've read good things about it but never used it personally

[edit]
            This is the ArchLinux fork I've read about
            I'll have a play tonight.

Added after 2 minutes:

Originally posted by waba View Post
            ooo this sounds interesting!! i always found the live cds ran slowly though, wont that affect the games?

i like that it supports network boot...lan party
            The problem with live CD's is that optical drives run slower than HDDs so load times on live CDs are severely impacted.

However once stuff is cached, it should run smoothly (and games, particularly, need to be cached anyway to get any kind of frame rate - even fancy DirectX games on Windows running off fast HDDs)

Originally posted by Lynx View Post
            Depends on the live CD, if it goes fully to ram should be fast!
            You wouldn't really want to whole live image going to RAM as you'd be dumping more than one games worth of data. A particularly bad idea when there's no swap partition to page to.
            Last edited by cold fusion; 12-09-11, 08:44. Reason: Auto edit by merge post

Comment

Working...
            X