recommend a 'medium' weight distro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommend a 'medium' weight distro

ok, this is off the back of the other thread for the 10 ways to sort out linux desktop article...

I'm looking for a distro that's not a heavyweight one like ubuntu or fedora but not an ultra lightweight one like #!

I assume Arch would fit into that category, but looking at the installation howto page kind of screams 1998 to me... (let me know if i'm wrong, but I'm sort of used to the simplicity of getting ubuntu running... long gone are the days where i'm able to spend an entire week/end getting a PC setup and configured...)
    Incoming: Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
    Outgoing: BLACK 'n' BLUE: X3360:: P5Q-E::4GB Ballistix::2x6850::Zalman GS1000 Plus case

Debian. Obviously it won't be as tweaked out of the box, but I've always found it pretty usable. And it's bombproof

And no, you're not wrong about arch. I installed it a while back, but there's a lot of messing about. I can see that it's a useful way to learn how linux works under the hood, but I was installing slackware from floppies and rolling my own kernel back in the mid-late 90s, I don't NEED to learn how to do it, and frankly I'd rather not have to mess about that much just to get a nicely working desktop.

At home I'm using Mint right now, but that is pretty heavyweight like ubuntu.

Comment

I assume debian can still use the ubuntu repos and PPA's? or are they strictly no-go as Ub is tweaked so much...
      Outgoing: BLACK 'n' BLUE: X3360:: P5Q-E::4GB Ballistix::2x6850::Zalman GS1000 Plus case

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grapes View Post
        I assume debian can still use the ubuntu repos and PPA's? or are they strictly no-go as Ub is tweaked so much...
        Yeah that mostly works. Although if you are happy to use the 'testing' and 'unstable' repos from debian then more often than not anything you want will be available as a native .deb.

Comment

Archlinux user here, and never going back.
          Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
          Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

yeah, it was on your bigging up of it that i went to have a look at it but TBH, my life is too short... (at least in these imminent expectation of a baby and still shedloads to do in the house to get ready times...)

Comment

Then I would recommend #!

http://crunchbanglinux.org/
              Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
              Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

Originally posted by Lorem-Ipsum View Post
                Then I would recommend #!

http://crunchbanglinux.org/
                Reread OP more carefully Second paragraph.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
                  Reread OP more carefully Second paragraph.
                  Whoops XD

TBH archlinux is probably more lightweight than #!.

Debian sounds like the right choice then

Comment

actually, if crunchbang is a quick setup, it might be the way forward...
                    (IIRC it's ultra slimmed ubuntu ??)

edit: oops no, just another debian based, not debian + ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grapes View Post
                      actually, if crunchbang is a quick setup, it might be the way forward...
                      (IIRC it's ultra slimmed ubuntu ??)
                      Not Ubuntu based any more. They had a falling out and now its based on debian.

I like it but I like archbang more.

Comment

One I haven't tried, but which has been making a bit of noise lately, is:

http://bodhilinux.com/

Basically it's downstream from ubuntu but uses E17 as a window manager, so it should be more minimalist / lightweight.

Comment

Hmmm... it's crazy, but it just might work

Comment

I also recommend arch. I used fedora, Ubuntu, kubuntu, and finally arch and that's best thing that happened to my server

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Comment

For servers I would always recommend vanilla debian, or CentOS if you're one of those perverts who likes RPMs . Debian is just so damn stable.

Comment

Working...
                              X