• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Ubuntu 11.04 installation

Hi folks,

I'm having an issue installing Ubuntu 11.04
    The installer runs, gets to a desktop environment then gives me a popup
    message that the installation could not be completed because of an error.

I press ok, then the screen goes black blank and gives me the following in
    white text about half way down the screen.

Code:
    [  195.714841] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1399748
    [  195.714878] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 349937
    [  195.714911] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 349938
    [  195.714938] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 349939
    [  195.714965] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 349940
    [  195.714992] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 349941
    [  195.715020] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 349942
    Anyone understand it or know how to fix it?

Check your drive, sounds to me like its going.

Comment

Originally posted by Pancake View Post
      Check your drive, sounds to me like its going.
      Yup. Definitely the 1st thing I'd check too

Comment

Originally posted by Plan9 View Post
        Yup. Definitely the 1st thing I'd check too
        I've had to put this on the back burner atm,

Logged into my main rig this morning to find the system going nuts on CPU usage,
        something called "System" with a description of "NT Kernel and System" is chomping up massive amounts of CPU time.

I've tried to reboot and it hasn't made any difference, from what I can tell this isn't generally a good thing -
        So I have MalwareBytes AM running while I'm at work.

Edit::
        As for the Drive issue on the Ubuntu machine, I think I can nail that one down to the unconventional drive I'm using
        I have a 4GB SD card in one of these adaptors, but it's never really given me any real joy.
        Last edited by Saldash; 05-09-11, 09:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Saldash View Post
          I've had to put this on the back burner atm,

Logged into my main rig this morning to find the system going nuts on CPU usage,
          something called "System" with a description of "NT Kernel and System" is chomping up massive amounts of CPU time.

I've tried to reboot and it hasn't made any difference, from what I can tell this isn't generally a good thing -
          So I have MalwareBytes AM running while I'm at work.
          XP?

That sounds like it's just a system idle process.
          Even when computers are doing "nothing", they're still busy polling for events (eg mouse cursor movements, keyboard presses, checking if new USB devices / removable media have been inserted, etc).

All that means is an application isn't processing so while the CU usage might be lower, the percentage of CPU time will now be biased towards message polling.

As for the Drive issue on the Ubuntu machine, I think I can nail that one down to the unconventional drive I'm using
          I have a 4GB SD card in one of these adaptors, but it's never really given me any real joy.
          I've had a file server running off one of them for years and it was solid. I'd suggest trying a new SD card.

Comment

XP?

That sounds like it's just a system idle process.
            Even when computers are doing "nothing", they're still busy polling for events (eg mouse cursor movements, keyboard presses, checking if new USB devices / removable media have been inserted, etc).

All that means is an application isn't processing so while the CU usage might be lower, the percentage of CPU time will now be biased towards message polling.
            It's Windows Vista SP2 64bit.
            I was aware of the System Idle Process as well, thats sitting at around 5% usage at the lower end of the process list.
            This "System" process is quite distinctively different, and not something I recall seeing before.
            Tasklist shows it handling 3 services, but when I go to identify these services, no services are selected.

The machine is feeling very sluggish as if it is under heavy load,
            which is unusual as this only started this past 36 hours.
            Last edited by Saldash; 05-09-11, 10:30.

Comment

Hell knows what happened.. but my rig just had a change of heart and the process giving me grief is backing down to zero CPU usage.. I've stared at for hours waiting for it to move and nothin..not a peep..

It's wanting an update though and im not sure if rebooting it will bring back the leak =/

It knows it's about to be replaced lol

I only placed the order yesterday for a new rig, bloody typical xD
              Last edited by Saldash; 08-09-11, 19:52.

Comment

Well glad it's working now anyway

Comment

Well glad it's working now anyway
                  Sort of working anyway, strange really.
                  If I reboot it, the issue comes back, I can leave it for hours idling and it will still keep at 100% usage.. If I boot it from cold, then send it into Sleep mode, after about an hour I can bring it out of sleep and it will be perfectly fine.

I dunno.. I'm just going to gut it into a server when my new rig arrives

Comment

It's Windows Vista SP2 64bit.
                    ^^ Your issue. Seriously.
                    PC: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI, 2 x 4 GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz, XFX 7870 LE.
                    Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad X220 - IntelCore i5 2520M @ 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM

Comment

Its your hard drive man, get it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pancake View Post
                        Its your hard drive man, get it fixed.
                        Wouldn't surprise me, the machine is almost never switched off ><
                        But out of curiosity, how'd you come to that conclusion?

Anyway.. they're cheap enough these days, if it fails me then I have a backup.
                        I'll just dissect it, for science!! [/vg-cats ref..]
                        Last edited by Saldash; 17-09-11, 21:00.

Comment

But out of curiosity, how'd you come to that conclusion?
                          Code:
                          This. Seen countless times before, and in my experience it's always an indication of a hardware problem. Back up any data if it lets you, get a new drive, and if you're going to use it only use it as a 'scratch' drive for stuff you really don't care about losing.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
                            Code:
                            This. Seen countless times before, and in my experience it's always an indication of a hardware problem. Back up any data if it lets you, get a new drive, and if you're going to use it only use it as a 'scratch' drive for stuff you really don't care about losing.
                            Ahh, I thought this might, happen..
                            A slight confusslement as I derailed my own thread

The error you quoted refers to an SD card in an IDE adaptor to which I tried to install ubuntu.
                            My CPU issues are on an entirely different machine, which was my current focus
                            When I asked how Pancake had come to his conclusion, I was at the time, thinking he meant my vista rig - which will, with the aforementioned arrival of my new rig sometime this week, be torn and gutted a-sunder for spares
                            Last edited by Saldash; 18-09-11, 00:17.

Comment

Check the drive on that too if i were you, try HD Tune, there is a very low chance its the CPU itself

Comment

Working...
                              X