Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten ways to tidy up the Linux desktop mess

------------------------
    Last edited by Ice Tea; 03-11-16, 08:32.

This made me lol:

Distributions need to stop modifying desktops
    Then he's harping on about more desktops should be available one minute, then apparently saying they should all have the same "standardised" configuration... So everything should just stay the same then? What a muppet

Create lightweight versions of existing desktops for low-powered machines

Don't they already do that for a few of them?
    Last edited by FunkY; 04-09-11, 11:05.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

^ If your computer cant handle linux, then tbh, can you even call it a computer, more a calculator?
      i7 3770k || H100 || Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H || 32GB G.Skill RipJaws || MSI GTX680 2-way SLI || 3 x BenQ G2220HD - 5760x1080 || ThermalTake Level 10GT
      i5 2500K || Noctua D14 || Gigabyte P67A-UD4 || 8GB G.Skill RipJaws || Gigabyte 6850 || Fractel R2

Comment

Linux for calculators! Brilliant!
        PC: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI, 2 x 4 GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz, XFX 7870 LE.
        Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad X220 - IntelCore i5 2520M @ 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by iGoD ReLeNtLeS View Post
          ^ If your computer cant handle linux, then tbh, can you even call it a computer, more a calculator?
          Or a wrist watch?
          Why did the chicken cross the road?
          To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkY View Post

Don't they already do that for a few of them?
            hehehe yeah. I'm not sure how TWM, Awesome or any of the other plethora of window managers can be called anything but "lightweight".

Comment

Originally posted by iGoD ReLeNtLeS View Post

come on... it's not that the computers can't handle "Linux"... it's that they can't handle latest eyecandy-on-by-default fests that the likes of ubuntu have become.

example:
              my Dell D600 laptop (1.8 Ghz Pentium-M) is no slouch, but it is old. since i have had it, it has run XP and Ubuntu side by side no problem. with every successive release of ubuntu, fewer thing work properly without excessive tinkering.

of a particular problem is the built in graphics: Radeon 9000 mobility or R250. no longer officially supported by the AMD/ATi binary driver, but to get actual open GL performance out of it that it's capable takes so much f'ing about with settings that i can't be bothered anymore. i had it tweaked nicely for one release and everything worked well. desktop effects, tux racer etc, no problem. then next release something fundamental changed making all my settings irrelevant and now no longer works, and since the default install (unity) requires decent 3D rendering (even 2D desktops look awful without some kind of hardware acceleration) then I'm afraid it's time to jump...
              Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
              [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grapes View Post

come on... it's not that the computers can't handle "Linux"... it's that they can't handle latest eyecandy-on-by-default fests that the likes of ubuntu have become.

example:
                my Dell D600 laptop (1.8 Ghz Pentium-M) is no slouch, but it is old. since i have had it, it has run XP and Ubuntu side by side no problem. with every successive release of ubuntu, fewer thing work properly without excessive tinkering.

of a particular problem is the built in graphics: Radeon 9000 mobility or R250. no longer officially supported by the AMD/ATi binary driver, but to get actual open GL performance out of it that it's capable takes so much f'ing about with settings that i can't be bothered anymore. i had it tweaked nicely for one release and everything worked well. desktop effects, tux racer etc, no problem. then next release something fundamental changed making all my settings irrelevant and now no longer works, and since the default install (unity) requires decent 3D rendering (even 2D desktops look awful without some kind of hardware acceleration) then I'm afraid it's time to jump...
                You can't really blame Linux nor Canonical for ATI producing crap drivers.

In fact, these days I rarely bother with the proprietary blobs as the open source drivers usually cover enough to get a working desktop. However I do sympathize with your issues; graphics, along with wireless chipsets, have long since been the subject of buggy / incomplete drivers (not just on Linux too).

Comment

I wasn't blaming linux or canonical. just saying that the need for lightweight distros has arisen because everyone assumes that linux = lightweight by default, when actually a full size distro like ubuntu is actually pretty bloated feature rich, and will utilise decent hardware.

but the plain fact is that computers which are by no means 'slow' can actually end up with more issues than newer hardware when the opposite used to be the case. my comment was more that ubuntu used to be the distor of choice for that laptop, but out of the box now it just plain sucks (on that laptop) and i'm going to have to use a explicitly light distro.
                  Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
                  [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

Whoever wrote that article is an idiot. Nuff Said.
                    Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
                    Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grapes View Post
                      I wasn't blaming linux or canonical. just saying that the need for lightweight distros has arisen because everyone assumes that linux = lightweight by default, when actually a full size distro like ubuntu is actually pretty bloated feature rich, and will utilise decent hardware.

but the plain fact is that computers which are by no means 'slow' can actually end up with more issues than newer hardware when the opposite used to be the case. my comment was more that ubuntu used to be the distor of choice for that laptop, but out of the box now it just plain sucks (on that laptop) and i'm going to have to use a explicitly light distro.
                      ahh i see
                      My apologies then

Comment

My washing machine uses Linux in the controller. (so I'm told)

@Mr Grapes. I use Puppy linux on all my machines (some VERY old - K6-2 and P90 included). The video drivers are always the topic of conversation on every release. I've managed to get all Nvidia cards sorted and there are lots of people who have sorted the drivers for ATI cards.
                        There are several Puppies available based on different base binaries. The main one uses Ubuntu binaries, but there are others.
                        One huge plus feature of Puppy is that it was designed originally to be a 'live' linux run from CD, but it will save your settings and all installed packages back to the CD for your next session. It can still use that feature(termed a frugal install, because it keeps the kernel and base system totally separate from any personal stuff) even when running from a hard drive (or you can install it like any other Linux) This means it is vary easy to upgrade and move around. I have an install on a bootable USB microdrive that I carry around with me for fixing machines. It has Wine and Virtualbox, and I have XP installed in a Virtual Machine that runs under Virtualbox on every machine I've tried it on so far.
                        Last edited by Burn-IT; 05-09-11, 17:48.
                        I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                        Dave Burnett

Comment

Originally posted by Burn-IT View Post
                          My washing machine uses Linux in the controller. (so I'm told)
                          I'm not convinced by that, I'd guess some use Java though (possibly). Even stripping a load out of the kernel, linux would be way too bloated for what a washing machine would need. I can't really see any point in it.

Comment

Originally posted by heavywater View Post
                            I'm not convinced by that, I'd guess some use Java though (possibly). Even stripping a load out of the kernel, linux would be way too bloated for what a washing machine would need. I can't really see any point in it.
                            Why Java?
                            Surely if you're writing a controller then you want your program to compile to machine code rather than byte code.

Comment

That's why I said possibly. Almost all washing machines and simple electronics will use machine code, but seeing as Burn-IT seems to think there's something more going on, it's most likely to be java rather than linux.

Also, you'd probably be surprised how many things run java.

Comment

Working...
                              X