X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeNAS

Hi

Thought I would post this here instead
    I have ordered an ITX rig and am going to install FreeNAS on it. How would I configure FreeNAS so that I would be able to access all files on all computers in my house and more importantly how would I configure it so I can access my documents at school.

For example, the nas would be at home and if I am at school how would I configure it so I can access all the files stored?
    I have a dynamic IP address.

Regards

First thing you will need is a dynamic DNS of some description - I found the free version of no-IP was fine for when I ran an FTP server from home - http://www.no-ip.com/

You will also need to ensure you setup your router to allow traffic in and to your NAS.

As for the Freenas setup itself - never used it so cant help at all with that.

However I might install a virtual machine on my home server and stick it on there to have a play at some point.
    Removed my picture as I have now sold it all

Comment

I use no-ip as well.. It works well! Thats about as far as we got in the other thread

Originally posted by coiler
      Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Pepp77 View Post
        You will also need to ensure you setup your router to allow traffic in and to your NAS.
        Thanks for the rest of the info Very helpful.
        How would I do the above?

Regards

Comment

Your router may have a DDNS section. Sign up to No-ip and fill in the relevant details that your router asks for. You'll then need to tell the router to send the DDNS requests to the specific IP and port on your home network that corresponds to you NAS.. That should all be in the same bit of the router config..

Originally posted by coiler
          Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

FreeNAS is pretty simple and the forums are good if you get stuck. The basic install guide on the Wiki will get you running in no time:

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Main_Page

Main thing I liked was running it of a small flash drive and just having the drives as storage. Personally though I soon found I wanted functionality that it couldn't meet. I would recommend setting it up as a Home Server to future proof it. WHS 2011 is only about 35 or Amahi is a great free distro built for purpose.
            i7 Sandy@4.5Ghz w/HT,BeQuiet Advanced,HD7850,
            ASUS P8P67 PRO,2x4GB Blackline DDR3,
            650W XFX PSU,Pioneer 216,256GB SSD,
            Fractal Arc Case loaded with quiet fans.

Comment

Originally posted by sibeer View Post
              FreeNAS is pretty simple and the forums are good if you get stuck. The basic install guide on the Wiki will get you running in no time:

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Main_Page

Main thing I liked was running it of a small flash drive and just having the drives as storage. Personally though I soon found I wanted functionality that it couldn't meet. I would recommend setting it up as a Home Server to future proof it. WHS 2011 is only about 35 or Amahi is a great free distro built for purpose.
              I have WHS from MS Dreamspark and would consider Amahi.
              Would I be able to configure it so I can access my files from school and all computers at home?
              Would FreeNAS be able to do that or not?

Regards

Comment

You can configure any of the three to do that, but there are many different ways. Personally I think the WHS method is easiest:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/connect.mspx
                i7 Sandy@4.5Ghz w/HT,BeQuiet Advanced,HD7850,
                ASUS P8P67 PRO,2x4GB Blackline DDR3,
                650W XFX PSU,Pioneer 216,256GB SSD,
                Fractal Arc Case loaded with quiet fans.

Comment

One of the most difficult things I've found is getting the firewall settings right, you need to forward the correct ports on your home router/firewall. On a Windows LAN then file sharing is normally SMB, but you don't really want to be doing that over the Internet.

I've not used FreeNAS but have used openfiler which is a similar thing. On that network the Linux storage was mounted to a Windows 2008 Server using the iSCSI protocol, so it appeared local to the system. Then a VPN was setup for outside use.

However, if you look up iSCSI then the same could be done using and https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/ so no firewall settings or VPN to bother about at all.

Comment

Originally posted by sibeer View Post
                    You can configure any of the three to do that, but there are many different ways. Personally I think the WHS method is easiest:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/connect.mspx
                    I can only get Windows Server 2008 or 03, is it the same with those?

Comment

Originally posted by mrnothersan View Post
                      I can only get Windows Server 2008 or 03, is it the same with those?
                      I don't think they make it as simple as WHS.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmac View Post
                        I don't think they make it as simple as WHS.
                        Sorry don't understand that :/

Comment

Originally posted by mrnothersan View Post
                          Sorry don't understand that :/
                          WHS = Windows Home Server = easy to set up and configure as a home file server.

Windows Server 2008 will expect things like Domains etc, which you won't want to bother with for home use.

Comment

I use dyndns as its the only one my netgear router uses. This way it dont have to use the no-ip client on the server. Its still free and easy to use.
                            I would use no-ip but was forced to dyndns due to the client not working on server 2003 very well.

Originally posted by Aria
                            On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
                              WHS = Windows Home Server = easy to set up and configure as a home file server.

Windows Server 2008 will expect things like Domains etc, which you won't want to bother with for home use.
                              Thanks for that.
                              Is there a free alternative?
                              Which would be better? Ubuntu, Fedora with Amahi or FreeNAS. As I said I would like to access all files from every computer and also from school.

What would be better to configure the OS to do the above?

M4T - Thanks for that, haven't decided which to use yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X