Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server, or......?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server, or......?

Well, I'm finally going to embark on the mission of turning my current htpc into a home server/nas.....yay!

Anyway, I had planned on using amahi based in their spiffing (yes, i said spiffing) website but after trying it out briefly on the machine in dual boot was left feeling that it was a bit of a bolt-on to fedora, I'd rather have a proper os handling everything.

This leads to my question, i'm a server noob with very basic needs but would prefer a proper desktop os with the functionality of rdc/ssh etc but without having to go into the depths of its inner working. I'm leaning towards ubuntu desktop at the minute as i also currently need it to run xbmc but i'm curious......will this suffice? I know I should be able to add the necessary functionality to normal ubuntu but would the server version be easier in the long run even for a noob?

Help!!!

(oh, i also have a copy of server 2008 r2 lying around, w7, vista, and xp....and a few random linux distos i use as coasters. It'll be serving my main w7 pc, a ununtu lappy, and possibly the mrs' iPhone and any other guest 'machines' (mainly mates macbook ghey).)
    Originally posted by {SAS}TB
    Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

really rusty on Ubuntu these days... if the server version comes with a full desktop then I'd go for that
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

For a home server I'd say regular ubuntu would be the one to go for. I don't think they do a server version of 11.04, I believe the last server version was 10.04 LTS. I'm using 10.10 with XBMC at home, as an XBMC box and file server, no problems.

Comment

If you want XBMC installed then go for Ubuntu desktop and just make sure you install openssh-server otherwise you wont have an SSH login.

However if you wanted an out and out NAS, then FreeNAS is the way to go

Comment

freenas is brilliant for a nas, i highly recommend it!. not sure if version 8 has dlna yet or not, but version 7 does.

My old celeron system handled everything fine with streaming to my ps3 using freenas

RIG 1: Core i7 930 @ 4.58ghz, 6GB OCZ Spec Ops, 64GB Kingston V+100 SDD, 1TB Barracuda, 5850,Win7 ULT x64
          RIG 2: Phenom II X6 3.50Ghz, 8GB Patriot, 40GB Mushkin SSD, 2TB Barracuda, 2x5770 XFIRE, Win7 ULT x64

Comment

Originally posted by gmunday View Post
            freenas is brilliant for a nas, i highly recommend it!. not sure if version 8 has dlna yet or not, but version 7 does.

My old celeron system handled everything fine with streaming to my ps3 using freenas
            Plus FreeNAS (being a FreeBSD derivitive) supports ZFS.

(I'm a bit of a ZFS fanboy )

Comment

Originally posted by Plan9 View Post
              Plus FreeNAS (being a FreeBSD derivitive) supports ZFS.

(I'm a bit of a ZFS fanboy )
              Linux can do ZFS too. Although you're right, if it's first and foremost a fileserver and you don't have much linux experience FreeNAS is the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
                Linux can do ZFS too. Although you're right, if it's first and foremost a fileserver and you don't have much linux experience FreeNAS is the best option.
                Indeed. FUSE isn't a great option for heavy duty file systems and, as of yet, there isn't a practical kernel space ZFS driver for Linux. (you can get around the CDDL / GPL issues by manually compiling ported CDDL code into Linux, but as you said, that's far beyond most peoples capabilities).

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I did consider freenas but this needs to work as a media centre for at least the next month. I'm thinking ubuntu desktop and just adding the necessary server bits as and when i need them
                  Originally posted by {SAS}TB
                  Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

Working...
                  X