Minecraft on Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minecraft on Linux

I'm new to Linux and was wondering if It is possible to play minecraft on Linux? I am aware it probably won't play other games without the use of wine, just purely interested in minecraft here

If so, does anyone have a suggestion for a distribution of Linux? Looking to play minecraft as efficiently as possible. Laptop specs are: 1.86ghz pentium dual core, 2gb ram.

Cheers.
    Originally posted by andyn
    Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
    PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
    Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Yes, Minecraft will run on Linux as it's written in Java. Easy peasy (see .jar download here: http://www.minecraft.net/download.jsp)

It's not a particularly graphics-intensive game (lol) so should run OK with your specs, although it might slow down when generating new landscape. Also, depending on your graphics chipset, you might experience slowdowns with a lot of landscape, creatures, objects, etc in view. I know I do on my lappy, which has an 8800M GS.
    Last edited by Ricko97; 16-08-11, 08:58.

Comment

Make sure you install Java 6.

Java 7 has lots of bugs and MineCraft does not seam to like it.

Comment

Ok, I've been running it in vista on the laptop and it's Okay, but suffers from lag spikes, dropping down to 5 fps or so at times.

I've been wanting to play around with Linux as it is, now I have an excuse ;P
        Any suggestions on a distribution? I was just going to go for ubuntu unless you have any better ideas?
        Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.

Comment

Ubuntu's a good one to get started with
          Why did the chicken cross the road?
          To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

I'll probably go ahead and play around with Linux anyway, but do you think I'll see any improvement in the performance using it over windows vista?

Comment

I would say overall theres quite a performance increase, ubuntu i think uses around 200mb RAM idling, vs. windows which must use about 1GB or so. Mind it depends how much RAM you have to how much windows will using idling
              i7 3770k || H100 || Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H || 32GB G.Skill RipJaws || MSI GTX680 2-way SLI || 3 x BenQ G2220HD - 5760x1080 || ThermalTake Level 10GT
              i5 2500K || Noctua D14 || Gigabyte P67A-UD4 || 8GB G.Skill RipJaws || Gigabyte 6850 || Fractel R2

Comment

Well I normally find windows idling at 700mb and 12-15% CPU, but it's odd, the CPU usage fluctuates massively, even with just a movement of the Cursor it can jump the 70% 0.o

It's on a pretty much fresh install aswell!

Comment

Dual boot it. If ubuntu is no better then simply remove the partition its installed on and extend the windows partition.
                  i7 3770k || H100 || Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H || 32GB G.Skill RipJaws || MSI GTX680 2-way SLI || 3 x BenQ G2220HD - 5760x1080 || ThermalTake Level 10GT
                  i5 2500K || Noctua D14 || Gigabyte P67A-UD4 || 8GB G.Skill RipJaws || Gigabyte 6850 || Fractel R2

Comment

I plan to dual boot it as I have office applications etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosford View Post
                      I plan to dual boot it as I have office applications etc.
                      Linux has free office applications and they are just as good as the Windows applications.
                      i7 2600k | MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II

Comment

Originally posted by sb89 View Post
                        Linux has free office applications and they are just as good as the Windows applications.
                        +1 to this, i use Libre Office for word docs and spreadsheets, works without a hitch, don't see a need to MS Office for light use.
                        GamingOnLinux.com - The number 1 Linux gaming community

Comment

i used to use openoffice on ubuntu, they seem to have libre on it instead, but ya it does work well, havnt used ms office for a while

Comment

Originally posted by waba View Post
                            i used to use openoffice on ubuntu, they seem to have libre on it instead, but ya it does work well, havnt used ms office for a while
                            libre is openoffice, just oracle had a bit of a rebrand

Comment

Originally posted by iGoD ReLeNtLeS View Post
                              libre is openoffice, just oracle had a bit of a rebrand
                              Actually libre office is a fork of open office and nothing to do with oracle.
                              GamingOnLinux.com - The number 1 Linux gaming community

Comment

Working...
                              X