Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3: Shocking changes for Linux lovers

------------------------
    Last edited by Ice Tea; 01-11-16, 09:17.

Looks nice! Might be good for my little brothers and sisters computer!
    Galaxy S Club Member 15

i5 2500K | MSI P67A-GD55 | 4GB 1600MHz Mushkin Blackline | Asus GTX 460 in SLI | Mushkin 40GB SSD | 160GB SATA Drive | 1TB Samsung F3| Corsair TX750W | Corsair H50 | CM690 Case

Comment

Yeah ubuntu are developing a similar update called 'unity', they rather surprisingly moved away from gnome as their default gui for the next (11.04) update.

It's always a bit risky, KDE alienated a huge proportion of their userbase when they went from KDE3 to KDE4 and basically rewrote everything in one go. The same could happen here, although really it all depends on how stable it is when it goes live; KDE4 was very buggy on launch.

Both interfaces seem to be heading towards a more 'portable-device-friendly' interface. At the moment one downside for experienced users is that Gnome 3 doesn't look very customisable, but this is open source, that will change rapidly once it starts seeing heavy use.

Comment

Honestly the fact that you can't minimize windows turns me off, i minimize stuff all time, it's like an OCD for me heh.

I much prefer Ubuntu's unity, but i will be download a gnome3 livecd to double check through things.
        GamingOnLinux.com - The number 1 Linux gaming community

Comment

My gut reaction to both really is that they just 'look' a bit "kiddyfied". Not really being fair though as I haven't tried either yet, I probably should.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Banana View Post
            Honestly the fact that you can't minimize windows turns me off, i minimize stuff all time, it's like an OCD for me heh.
            I'm the same, very lazy and never actually close anything. Would certainly take some getting used to not having minimize

Comment

Looks like a kiddies Tonka phone.
              What is the modern thing against neat tidy text menus? Why do we have to have a degree in picture association before we can do anything? (I've just realised the answer to that)
              Windows is set to go the same way by all accounts.
              I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
              Dave Burnett

Comment

Yeah i honestly prefer neat normal menu's rather than fancy full screen/partial screen overlays - you know where everything is.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
                  My gut reaction to both really is that they just 'look' a bit "kiddyfied". Not really being fair though as I haven't tried either yet, I probably should.

Agreed ...looks like its trying to jump on the Tablet kind of interface
                  posted by scrivz69
                  I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                  i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

i like the look of that it looks so user friendly, it would be perfect for somebody who hasnt used a computer before or hardy uses it.

http://www.gnome3.org

looks like a few useful features i like the im feature looks rather good looks like i might be ditching joilicloud on my laptop then
                    Last edited by mikeyuk3; 12-04-11, 12:27.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyuk3 View Post
                      i like the look of that it looks so user friendly, it would be perfect for somebody who hasnt used a computer before or hardy uses it.

http://www.gnome3.org

looks like a few useful features i like the im feature looks rather good looks like i might be ditching joilicloud on my laptop then
                      I never got the point of jolicloud, it is basically Ubuntu with a new launcher slapped on top of it. You can do everything the same in Ubuntu.

Comment

well its so simple to install you can install it with in windows and joilicloud is more aimed at netbooks and laptops i see where your coming from becuase it is very similar to ubuntu but is more lightweight, and joilicloud is based in the cloud

Comment

I for one can't wait to give Gnome 3 a real try once Fedora 15 comes out. Personally I am also a fan of minimizing windows, but I won't ditch new ideas until I have given them a chance - there's loads of nice features too!

Comment

Looking forward to trying it, will probably end up trying Unity as well.

I hope finally to see the back of the niggly little bugs that plague the current GNOME, I still get occasional panel applet problems e.g. Rubbish Bin fails to start and asks to be deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyuk3 View Post
                              well its so simple to install you can install it with in windows and joilicloud is more aimed at netbooks and laptops i see where your coming from becuase it is very similar to ubuntu but is more lightweight, and joilicloud is based in the cloud
                              You can install it from windows thanks to Ubuntu as that is an Ubuntu thing

Comment

Working...
                              X