Linux live CD with a usable desktop..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux live CD with a usable desktop..

Anyone got a link to and ISO for a Linux live CD with a usable desktop?

define "usable"

Otherwise: this http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

as in just works straight from the disk and works well 'usable' lol

Comment

Well my old laptop killed off 2 hard drives, but the cd still worked fine... so for about 6 months we booted off a ubuntu live cd and used remote desktop to our PC's when we couldn't be bothered to get off the sofa

it has fairly standard stuff though, and "just works" for the most part
        --
        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

It can be quite handy to have it on a pen drive. That way it's easy to carry around.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
          My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
            Well my old laptop killed off 2 hard drives, but the cd still worked fine... so for about 6 months we booted off a ubuntu live cd and used remote desktop to our PC's when we couldn't be bothered to get off the sofa

it has fairly standard stuff though, and "just works" for the most part

that's pretty much what i need it for, i need to get some files off an ancient laptop with a non bootable hdd

cheers mate.

Comment

In that case, I've also used Bart PE for accessing an old hdd which had windows on it previously... it's a livecd with a more windowsy feel

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
              --

Comment

Try Puppy Linux. There are many variations., but the latest Lucid(5.2) is probably the best.
                I also use version 4.2 which is the bling one and very pretty.

Can be loaded from almost anything. The ISO is <150Mb. And it will save sessions back to the CD

I have both versions on bootable USB drives and using Virtualbox to run XP

see: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115
                and: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppySites
                I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                Dave Burnett

Comment

knoppix is also amazing as it's designed to be used natively from the disk, and was one of the first. has masses of apps installed, and i've had cases where knoppix booted faster from the CD than the locally installed copy of XP did off hard drive
                  www.knoppix.net
                  Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
                  [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

I'm using Ubuntu right now running of a Live disk, defiantly usable

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grapes View Post
                      knoppix is also amazing as it's designed to be used natively from the disk, and was one of the first. has masses of apps installed, and i've had cases where knoppix booted faster from the CD than the locally installed copy of XP did off hard drive
                      www.knoppix.net
                      i used to use knoppix quite alot, but i havent been able to find an iso that boots to a desktop? all the knoppix live cd's ive downloaded just take you to some (dos like) terminal.

Comment

one thing to mention is that ubuntu live disks by default mount local hard drives as read only, and it's a bit of a pain in the posterior if you want to write anything to them.

wheras knoppix allows you to change the Writable flag a lot easier (although last time i ran into this problem was a while ago so it might have changed since then)

Originally posted by Alfizzle View Post
                        i used to use knoppix quite alot, but i havent been able to find an iso that boots to a desktop? all the knoppix live cd's ive downloaded just take you to some (dos like) terminal.
                        really?

when it boots, just hit enter.
                        every knoppix i've ever used goes straight to KDE. might be that in youe case it needs some special options at the boot loader. are you booting from disc or USB stick?
                        Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
                        [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

from disk. yeah its strange

i do have knoppix on a disk somewhere but im not sure where it is at the moment.. that disk boots straight into KDE. but all other iso's of knoppix live boot into a linux terminal..

it doesnt matter anymore tho as i have now sorted a live disk from one of the links above

Comment

I'm a Knoppix fan. My experience is in line with Mr Grapes - just hit enter as it boots and straight to KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfizzle View Post
                              that's pretty much what i need it for, i need to get some files off an ancient laptop with a non bootable hdd

cheers mate.
                              So in that case you don't necessarily need a Linux boot disk. I mention this because if you have another computer and a Windows XP install disk, you could build your own boot CD using http://www.ubcd4win.com/. It comes with a number of tools that will help you and in a familiar environment.

Comment

Working...
                              X