HTPC Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTPC Software

I'm currently building a cheap HTPC out of spare parts for a family xmas present.

E6750
    2GB ddr2 800mhz RAM
    5450 512mb low profile
    500gb + 1tb drives
    500 watt psu

I've been looking through a few of the packages such as XBMC, MediaPortal(windows), Linux MCE, MeediOS, Mythbuntu, xbmc etc and there seem to be too many to choose from.

I've noticed quite a few ppl have recently built HTPCs, which software package did you choose and whether you'd recommend it.

Thanks,

Marv

p.s. I'm leaning towards a linux build but I do have a spare vista 64 install I could use instead.

i7 4960X, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus Sabertooth x79, Sapphire 290 4gb, Win10 pro 64.

My HTPC is:-

PDC E5400 @ 3.6Ghz
    MSI P35 neo2-FR
    4Gb DDR2 PC6400
    HD4750
    Pinnacle 3010ix
    MS remote and reciever

Running Windows 7HP, media Browser, set up as per the Codec Bible

Plays back everything with out issue, including subs where required.
    I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Personally i don't think you can beat XBMC with a decent theme (MediaStream) for a HTPC.

Comment

I looked at XBMC when building my mums HTPC and didnt find it pleasant to use and so ended up opting to pay for Win 7 HP so I could use media centre - installed 4 or 5 codecs/files (divx, xvid, ffdshow, matroskasplitter, and I think one more) and it plays everything (did try the shark pack, but mkvs wouldnt play and it wouldnt uninstall so had to reinstall windows).

I am tempted to try the bible thing wonderlust uses, but it seems a lot of work for the 2 possible extra bits it will give me and I didnt really like media browser either.
        Removed my picture as I have now sold it all

Comment

My HTPC was almost entirely salvaged or bought from flea bay:

AMD X2 255
          MSI C55
          Radeon 5450
          4Gb G.Skill DDR3
          Compro Twin DVB-T Tuner

I use Win7 and mediabrowser with the Diamond Theme and Xzener's EHS Icons. I installed the minimum codecs required (ffdshow and matroska). Looks fabulous (after a lot of time organising and downloading bacdrops and the like for the metadata) and plays everything, although I do have the occasional issue with multiple audio tracks, but that's my configuration somewhere... I looked long and hard at some of the options and the set up above passes the all important wife test so that's the one for me!!
          720BE; GA MA790FXT-UD5P; 8Gb Mushkin silver; Sapphire 6950 (unlocked to 6970); TX850; 120Gb Mushkin Chronos; 8Tb HDD; 24" Ilyama Prolite; SteelSeries Ikari Laser; Saitek Eclipse II; FD Define XL

Comment

That's the advantage of the extra work doing the green button config, it allows the changing of audio threads at the press of a button on the remote, same for displaying/not displaying subtitles.
            I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
              That's the advantage of the extra work doing the green button config, it allows the changing of audio threads at the press of a button on the remote, same for displaying/not displaying subtitles.
              I agree but the only subtitles I need are for non english parts of films and these are usually hardcoded, and I only ever need the one audio thread - ie english, which is why i cant be arsed to try and work through the "bible".
              Removed my picture as I have now sold it all

Comment

I've only done it a few of times, once for a friend and a coupole of times for me.

Last time I tried it I ended up with media browser running strangely slowly, I am blaming Cat 10.5.

cba to set it all up again so I ghosted my main htpc's drive to the 2nd machine (Cat 10.2 btw) and it is running as smooth as the first PC

Comment

I am a mythbuntu fan but thats just my opinion. Some hate it.
                  Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
                  Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

I use a 10m hdmi cable across the room from the PC to the TV, i already have a seperate audio cable from the PC to the amp for music. Any film i sit n watch, i stay sat watching till its over so i dont need to pause it from my chair, that renders the cost/waiting time of a HTPC redundant in my house.
                    Running the London Marathon 2014 for MS-UK, need to raise 2000, please support my bid by texting LZAZ76 plus ?amount? to 70070 ! ... Or via https://www.justgiving.com/luke-zasikowski

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
                      May well have to get around to this - we watch a lot of martial arts films and quite a few are subtitled rather than dubbed...
                      720BE; GA MA790FXT-UD5P; 8Gb Mushkin silver; Sapphire 6950 (unlocked to 6970); TX850; 120Gb Mushkin Chronos; 8Tb HDD; 24" Ilyama Prolite; SteelSeries Ikari Laser; Saitek Eclipse II; FD Define XL

Comment

I think I'll have a play with XBMC on Vista64 first and see how it goes. My main concern is ati drivers for hdmi+audio and gpu decoding support on linux.

Thanks for all your suggestions btw, much appreciated.

p.s. we need an HTPC forum section.

i7 4960X, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus Sabertooth x79, Sapphire 290 4gb, Win10 pro 64.

Comment

Have no issues at with ATi drivers for HDMI and audio on my machine...

Comment

Originally posted by aspdend View Post
                            Have no issues at with ATi drivers for HDMI and audio on my machine...
                            Your HTPC machines that runs on Windows? Or do u have a Linux build? and does it support gpu accelerated decoding?

Comment

Win7 and GPU accelerated decoding

Comment

Working...
                              X