• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spec me a linux for an old laptop

I have a dell inspiron 510m laptop thats a bit plop lol

wondering if it would be a good idea to install linux on it would it
    boot faster than xp ?

in short is it work doing >?

I popped Mint on an old laptop which seemed OK if a little dull. Does the job and is much better than XP for just web browsing and such.
    My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

I just stuck ubuntu beta 10 on a usb stick all was looking good till the logo disappeared
      the screen just stays black lol

Comment

1.7GHz, 512MB RAM... looks okay for just about any distro. There's tons of choice really, Kuki, UNR, Meego etc.

Comment

Puppy Linux. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php
          I have an emergency usb drive that has several of the Windows recovery CDs on it which muliboots with Puppy that runs Wine and a full XP and Office 2003 under VirtualBox. With loads of Portable apps it makes a very powerful recovery tool.
          Puppy can be run from CD/DVD/USB as a live version (with saves) or installed onto a bootable drive (not optical for installed version) but any USB/IDE/SATA/SCSI etc.
          If you have more than 256 MB memory it will run entirely from RAM and free up the CD/DVD (if that is where you booted from)
          I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
          Dave Burnett

Comment

Ubuntu is probably the easiest option, most supported and hard to go wrong with. Personally I prefer the look of Mint if the hardware is up to it (1.7Ghz + 512mb should be OK).
            i7 Sandy@4.5Ghz w/HT,BeQuiet Advanced,HD7850,
            ASUS P8P67 PRO,2x4GB Blackline DDR3,
            650W XFX PSU,Pioneer 216,256GB SSD,
            Fractal Arc Case loaded with quiet fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Burn-IT View Post
              Puppy Linux. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php
              I have an emergency usb drive that has several of the Windows recovery CDs on it which muliboots with Puppy that runs Wine and a full XP and Office 2003 under VirtualBox. With loads of Portable apps it makes a very powerful recovery tool.
              Puppy can be run from CD/DVD/USB as a live version (with saves) or installed onto a bootable drive (not optical for installed version) but any USB/IDE/SATA/SCSI etc.
              If you have more than 256 MB memory it will run entirely from RAM and free up the CD/DVD (if that is where you booted from)
              Puppy is great for really old hardware but I reckon this system can happily run something a little flashier.

Comment

There are now Puppy versions built on other Linux kernels and using their repositories - such as Ubuntu. You can build/remaster your own to include any Linux programs.
                There are many specifically built versions built for specific uses see http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puplets
                I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                Dave Burnett

Comment

Originally posted by sibeer View Post
                  Ubuntu is probably the easiest option, most supported and hard to go wrong with. Personally I prefer the look of Mint if the hardware is up to it (1.7Ghz + 512mb should be OK).

I have tried 3 versions of Ubuntu not a single one will load past the ubuntu logo

latest dont even get that far....quite gutted to be honest the CD drives dead init so thats not an option either

Comment

Originally posted by Sniperdude View Post
                    I have tried 3 versions of Ubuntu not a single one will load past the ubuntu logo

latest dont even get that far....quite gutted to be honest the CD drives dead init so thats not an option either
                    I've had the same issue! Older versions used to be fine..
                    Pentium G620T | ASUS P8H61-I | 4GB Patriot 1333Mhz | 64GB Cruical M4 | Antec ISK300-150

Comment

Maybe try xubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by sibeer View Post
                        Maybe try xubuntu
                        whats the difference mate?

Comment

give up with it what a pile of plop

i have tried about4 versions of Ubuntu each one gives a different reason why it wont load as a live drive or install

I managed to get GOs 3,1 installed and it looks niceish but can't get the wireless to work and am sick of googling about it

Linux is utter plop as far as im concerned after this messing about .

Comment

Originally posted by Sniperdude View Post
                            give up with it what a pile of plop

i have tried about4 versions of Ubuntu each one gives a different reason why it wont load as a live drive or install

I managed to get GOs 3,1 installed and it looks niceish but can't get the wireless to work and am sick of googling about it

Linux is utter plop as far as im concerned after this messing about .
                            Sounds like a disk drive issue... something like this will be hardware related.

Comment

the later version of ubuntu don't get on with the intel 855 chipset ubuntu
                              9.10 installs fine but again i have wireless problems

i downloaded the drivers and my wireless is really slow its showing its connected at 1mb

Comment

Working...
                              X