Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save output of command to file then send in email alert

I'm sure this is very simple.
    I run an rsync to backup my machines as a cron job weekly.
    I would quite like to be able to see the output of that in a log file and I would also like to be able to have a log file if I manually invoke the backup.
    Also when the backup is done I would like it to send me an email stating that, with the logfile attached.
    I'm not sure how to do the first part but I'm sure the email could be achieved through sendmail but I'm not sure how to add an attachment with that.
    Any help extremely appreciated.

EDIT so far I am working with:

bash$ rsync -avzuh user@computertobackup:~/ /mnt/backups > "/mnt/backups/backuplog-`date +"%m-%d-%y`"

and:

mailx -s [MySubject] -a "/mnt/backups/backuplog-`date +"%m-%d-%y`" me@myispmail.com

but I would have to make sure the email gets send the same day as the update starts.
    Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
    Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

adding an attachment is quite straightforward - do a man on uuencode (my scripts are at work so can confirm in the morning unless you're sorted by then).
    something like
    Code:
    uuencode <file_to_attach> <name_of_attachment> | mailx -s "subject here" you@yourdomain.com
    As to outputting the logs - does rsync write logs ? maybe with a -v option? again, man page is your friend If not, then you'll have to write some echo "blah blah" >> logfile style statements in your script

/edit: if the logfile is just text, then you don't necessarily need to "attach" it... just
    Code:
    cat logfile.txt | mailx -s "subject" you@yourdomain.com
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

If I manually invoke:
      bash$ rsync -avzuh user@computertobackup:~/ /mnt/backups > "/mnt/backups/backuplog-`date +"%m-%d-%y`"

The output is sent to the log file.

Is there any way to have this happen but also to see the output on screen?
      Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
      Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

only by running that command in the background with an "&" on the end, and then doing a tail -f on the logfile
        --
        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

kk. I don't fancy doing that. I guess I'll just look at the logfile later if I need to.

Comment

or use 2 windows - 1 to tail the log, the other to run the command
            --

Comment

Finished:

Code:
              #!/bin/bash
              DATE=`date +%m-%d-%y`
              echo -n "What directory do you want to back up? : "
              read DIRECTORY
              rsync -avzuh Targetmachine:~/$DIRECTORY . > /home/username/logs/backup-log-$DIRECTORY-$DATE.txt &&
              echo  "Backup of $DIRECTORY Complete, Log attached" | mailx -s "Backup  Complete" -a "/home/username/logs/backup-log-$DIRECTORY-$DATE.txt"  user@HOST

Comment

oooh mailx has a "-a" on linux... worth knowing

I'm stuck predominantly on Solaris for now
                --

Comment

Working...
                X