No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 10.04 is awesome!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried the last 3 revisions including 10.4.

It's clearly the best one they've launched and user friendliness is top notch compared to some of the other releases.

However, theres absolutely no use for it to me personally. You can't play games, i can't sync to my Zune, Skype is awful on it (like a lot of things) and for someone even more of a *Nix n00b than me - hunting for packages etc can be a bit of a testes ache (this are has improved a lot with 10.4 though, i tip my hat to them).

After a good few weeks usage you realise that unless your running on a laptop(or indeed PC) with 1GB of RAM, Windows is fine.
    Conversely maybe you work in a *nix environment in which case it probably is viable option too OSX/7.

Comment

man all the links in that article are broken so its useless unfortunately
      Gaming PC: GTX 680 | FX-8320 | 12GB | Asus Crosshair Formula IV | Crucial BX100 250gb and OCZ Agility 3 60gb |1.5tb Storage| Fractal Design Arc R2 | Enermax 700w | Custom Watercooling
      Laptop: HP Elitebook 2570p - i5 2.8Ghz, 8gb Phone: Huawei P8

Comment

Originally posted by Toonshorty View Post
        It's the first real Linux I've tried but it's simple to use, features a really nice GUI and running Firefox only uses 263MB RAM!

ONLY! in windows mine uses 150 MB :/
        AMD X2 550 @ 3.8GHz - - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO - - ASUS 5770 - - 6GB RAM - - 250GB WD (OS), 1TB Samsung F3, 1TB Hitachi.

Comment

I think he means Linux OS + Firefox = total 263MB
          --
          Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by AmdOverclocker View Post
            ONLY! in windows mine uses 150 MB :/
            No, the whole system uses that.

In windows firefox might use 150MB but the OS is using a hell'ova lot more.

That was the OS, Firefox and anything else only using 250MB RAM!

Comment

Hmmm 10.10 Maverick....
              how does it compare to 10.04?
              I think I'm going to VM it
              Incoming: Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
              Outgoing: BLACK 'n' BLUE: X3360:: P5Q-E::4GB Ballistix::2x6850::Zalman GS1000 Plus case

Comment

Lucid Lynx is an excellent O/S, especially for first time Linux users. I find everything very intuitve. In fact, I rarely use Windows PC's these days other than for serious gaming.

Also have my home server running on Lucid Lynx server and have no problem with it at all. Makes a nice change to be able to run such an effective server on such a low-spec system.

I have even managed to get COD Modern Warfare 2 to run on Linux (through Wine) with impressive results

Comment

haven't used Ubuntu in a while might have to start again

Comment

I like ubuntu for some aspects but they do change a lot of the standard linux releases so sometimes it can take a long time for a fix to be released.

Personally I am an arch linux fan.
                    Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
                    Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

ahhhh might have to try arch on the lappy...
                      Incoming: Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
                      Outgoing: BLACK 'n' BLUE: X3360:: P5Q-E::4GB Ballistix::2x6850::Zalman GS1000 Plus case

Comment

any game iv tried to play in wine has failed miserably. but that was always going to happen, poor linux guys are trying to reverse engineer windows, which i cant imagine is easy! i am constantly impressed wi ubunutu, very user friendly, and not a drain on resources - i guess if anyone is eco-friendly minded out there, the lower power consumption is a good thing.

Comment

I think the games available for Linux (Nexuiz, Warsow etc.) are good enough for the casual gamer... just wish there were some options not based on Quake (yes, because i'm rubbish at fast paced stuff ).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grapes View Post
                            ahhhh might have to try arch on the lappy...
                            Takes some time to set up and get used to. Just follow the arch beginners guide in their wiki. Arch does require more manual configuration than other distros but their config files are second to none.
                            Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
                            Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

Well i'm currently using Maverick (the dev release) and it's looking so good.

Software Centre has a much nicer look and feel to it now
                              GamingOnLinux.com - The number 1 Linux gaming community

Comment

Got latest 64bit Ubuntu up, hosted on VirtualBox. Looks tidy, only problem is its windowed and i cant use fullscreen for Ubuntu, even selecting fullscreen leaves a small screen to work on, not ideal.

VB allows only 128mb video mem, could that be the issue ?
                                Running the London Marathon 2014 for MS-UK, need to raise 2000, please support my bid by texting LZAZ76 plus ?amount? to 70070 ! ... Or via https://www.justgiving.com/luke-zasikowski

Comment

Working...
                                X