Ubuntu 10.04 is awesome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.04 is awesome!

I must say I've been mighty impressed with the Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) experience so far.

It's the first real Linux I've tried but it's simple to use, features a really nice GUI and running Firefox only uses 263MB RAM!

I've got the correct resolution set up now and dual monitors is working great.

I downloaded the 10.8 drivers for Linux and ran a simple bash command to run the installer.

If Linux had DirectX I'd use it as my 24/7 OS.

I think i tried Hardy Heron which ever ubuntu that was, but it took me hours of commands to get the wireless working.

Never bothered with Linux after that.

Glad you are enjoying it though.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

It's improving with every release, less hassle to get stuff working an more stuff working right off the bat.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Originally posted by k3vst3r View Post
        It's improving with every release, less hassle to get stuff working an more stuff working right off the bat.
        Yeah, had a little problem with the display at the start.

Had to replace quiet splash with xforcevesa but it's all fine now.

El Wayno - You should give Ubuntu 10.04 a look. It feels really natural to use coming from a Windows and Mac user - it's like having them both combined. I love it!

Hardly Heron is 8.04 - A lot will have changed since then.

More and more drivers and programs are coming out for Linux - especially since netbooks took it on.

Comment

Hardy need the most amount of fiddling with of any ubuntu ver on my lappy, but it was also the last one that actually worked with my trackpad... 10.04 just flew out of the box, but because of a bug in what appears to be the synaptics driver, the left mouse button will frequently 'stick' down (only in software, the physical buttons are fine) but works fine in XP.

even more unfortunately, it's not just ubuntu! (which is why i think it's a driver issue) as the latest Fedora does it too
          maybe puppy will be the way forward with this lappy...

Originally posted by Toonshorty View Post
          ...coming from a Windows and Mac user - it's like having them both combined. I love it!
          I think the out of the box Gnome theme they have makes it VERY mac like. the feel of the gnome file manager is almost identical to finder. an aqua like skin and you'd be very hard pressed to tell them apart
          Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
          [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

I tried ubuntu a little while back on an older laptop and after spending half an hour getting adobe flash installed decided that it was not worth it when something that should be so simple was actually a complete pain in the rear.

that and the fact it ran a lot slower than xp did, even the lighter lubuntu was still slower than xp

Comment

Yeah it's getting better but problem is windows is just easier to use.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Tried heron and really struggled getting dual monitor support AND hardware 3d support on my ATI... I could have one or the other apparently but not both lol.

Probably the fault of ATI as much as Ubuntu
                --
                Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by fullfatmilk View Post
                  I tried ubuntu a little while back on an older laptop and after spending half an hour getting adobe flash installed decided that it was not worth it when something that should be so simple was actually a complete pain in the rear.

that and the fact it ran a lot slower than xp did, even the lighter lubuntu was still slower than xp
                  I tried Fedora a while ago and I just couldn't get anything to work.

Ubuntu is like a totally different experience - it just works

Yeah it's getting better but problem is windows is just easier to use.
                  Windows is also 120, Linux is not only free but in some aspects better.

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
                  Tried heron and really struggled getting dual monitor support AND hardware 3d support on my ATI... I could have one or the other apparently but not both lol.

Probably the fault of ATI as much as Ubuntu
                  Well I just installed Ubuntu 10.04, downloaded the 10.8 drivers, typed a line of code, restarted Linux and I've got dual monitors running instantly.

Linux is evolving quickly - I've always struggled with it but this version seems too easy to use, it's no longer got the requirements of extreme technical knowledge.

Comment

Windows is also 120, Linux is not only free but in some aspects better.

Well I just installed Ubuntu 10.04, downloaded the 10.8 drivers, typed a line of code, restarted Linux and I've got dual monitors running instantly.

Linux is evolving quickly - I've always struggled with it but this version seems too easy to use, it's no longer got the requirements of extreme technical knowledge.
                    Well true windows costs money an unix is free as its open source, but it's one of those things users want simplicity, most users can't waste time trying get some easy things working which takes 20-30 mins trouble shooting on unix.

Comment

Well true windows costs money an unix is free as its open source, but it's one of those things users want simplicity, most users can't waste time trying get some easy things working which takes 20-30 mins trouble shooting on unix.
                      I just got my 5 year printer working in 5 minutes.

It took me longer to get it working in Windows

Comment

I just got my 5 year printer working in 5 minutes.

It took me longer to get it working in Windows
                        yep well they give an take between both sides

Comment

I'll agree that the core of it works great, I boot from the cd for testing all the time and apart from the wireless drivers it picks up everything else most of the time and on more recent machines runs quite nicely. But when it came to actually using it as an OS it just annoyed me with it's clumsy awkwardness regarding finding and installing software

Comment

only reason i dont use it is because my wireless adaptor doesent work 'out of the box' and i have no idea how to go about getting it to work.
                            Gaming PC: GTX 680 | FX-8320 | 12GB | Asus Crosshair Formula IV | Crucial BX100 250gb and OCZ Agility 3 60gb |1.5tb Storage| Fractal Design Arc R2 | Enermax 700w | Custom Watercooling
                            Laptop: HP Elitebook 2570p - i5 2.8Ghz, 8gb Phone: Huawei P8

Comment

Probably have to manually hunt for the linux driver for it

Comment

Working...
                              X