Ubuntu Live-CD won't partition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Live-CD won't partition

I'm trying to shrink my 1TB drive partition by 100GB but every time I apply/start the shrink it gets an error after about 15 seconds.

I've saved the details, you can see them in the .htm file here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ef8npk5j51eb9ov

Cheers,

Toon

It may also be worth noting no OS is installed on the drive.

Comment

Have you ever had any OS installed on the drive and has the drive been booted up in a machine with windows present even if its been on another drive?

If so you may need to boot the drive up in a windows machine. Shutdown properly then attempt to format using a live cd.
      Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
      Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

Originally posted by llawwehttam View Post
        Have you ever had any OS installed on the drive and has the drive been booted up in a machine with windows present even if its been on another drive?

If so you may need to boot the drive up in a windows machine. Shutdown properly then attempt to format using a live cd.
        Windows is on a separate drive but wont boot due to a .sys magically disappearing overnight

Comment

sounds like a bad drive.

Comment

Well, it says "The NTFS journal file is unclean", so I don't know if that means the FAT table for allocating data onto the partition is in some way corrupt? Also, you might have some unmoveable file or something stuck wherever it's trying to create the space. I'm no expert on this kind of stuff, but if you have a spare hard disk to move all your data to temporarily and allow a format, I'd probably do that.
            Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
            Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

That is what has caused the problem. Windows has placed a file on the drive, possibly in the MBR area that is preventing it from being modified. I have sen this issue with linux before. It is sort of a failsafe to prevent damage.

I don't know myself how to wipe an MBR. The best way to fix this problem would be to put the drive in another windows PC, boot up into windows, shutdown, remove the drive then format it in your machine.
              Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
              Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

This is becoming a PITA.

I've got about 100-200GB's worth of data on the 1TB drive I'm trying to shrink.

I've got nowhere for the files to go but I can't delete them because I don't have enough monthly usage on my broadband connection to re-download them.

I'll try and get that windows error fixed.

Comment

^ I should have realised that from both the above posts, just remembered I've had the same issue myself before. Sorry lol, as explained above, slave it in a Windows PC and it should be solved.
                  Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
                  Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

Originally posted by llawwehttam View Post

OK you're a babe.

Found out that it was sfsync03.sys that stopped windows from booting.

Turns out it's from starforce - stupid DRM.

Deleted the starforce drivers from Live-CD, booted into Windows, shutdown Windows, booting back into Live-CD and we all lived happily ever after (so far). Going to take 1hr 50m for it to shrink though

Comment

Working...
                    X