Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What cool stuff can you do on Linux that you can't on Windows?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
    ruin? how so?

Intrigued cos I've not played with pen-drive linux installs before
    Back when I was at college, I used a pen drive to transfer data between computers. It would normally work when transferring files from home to my user space at college, but once or twice when I had to bring stuff home from college on it, it wouldn't work. I would get round this by reformatting it, then it'd work again. That only happened a couple of times though.

Now I'm not at college so I installed Ubuntu on it. Ubuntu never actually ran, but apparently the install completed. So I booted into a live CD of Ubuntu to format it back to FAT32 to make it useful again.

Ever since, it has never worked in any OS.

Check out my latest Steam Workshop creations here

Comment

Sounds more like a duff drive than a problem with Linux. There is even an option with Ubuntu to install on a usb key to use to boot a PC with a damaged OS partition
      Married!!! despite every complaint they made about my paperwork, they finally gave in and issued our Red Books. (UK Consulate )

Comment

What does Linux do that Windows doesn't?

Well for a start Linux is open source, so there are many things you can do on it
        External sound cards are pointless

Comment

Originally posted by Smifis View Post
          Bouncy ball on my desktop on Kubuntu
          I want one! How do I get it?

Comment

Originally posted by GentleGiant View Post
            Sounds more like a duff drive than a problem with Linux. There is even an option with Ubuntu to install on a usb key to use to boot a PC with a damaged OS partition
            It still appears as a bootable drive in BIOS, but I can't do anything with it in either OS. It doesn't appear in Disk Management in Windows 7, but appears as a "Mass Storage Device" in Devices and Printers, with a yellow exclamation mark next to it and the option to troubleshoot. Troubleshooter cannot identify the problem.

Check out my latest Steam Workshop creations here

Comment

1) Is free
              2) Is available in more versions to suit different uses (e.g. XBMC makes a much simpler Media PC than Windows as it is dedicated, Untangle makes an old PC a superb internet firewall / router, etc)
              3) Helps keep Microsoft's pricing in check despite almost being a monopoly as the only major retail / OEM OS available on PC's (not counting Apple as they are an overall system rather than an OS choice for most)
              i7 Sandy@4.5Ghz w/HT,BeQuiet Advanced,HD7850,
              ASUS P8P67 PRO,2x4GB Blackline DDR3,
              650W XFX PSU,Pioneer 216,256GB SSD,
              Fractal Arc Case loaded with quiet fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Col View Post
                It still appears as a bootable drive in BIOS, but I can't do anything with it in either OS. It doesn't appear in Disk Management in Windows 7, but appears as a "Mass Storage Device" in Devices and Printers, with a yellow exclamation mark next to it and the option to troubleshoot. Troubleshooter cannot identify the problem.

Win7 keeps buggering up my stuff; although it could be the drive is damaged. Did you use the default settings for the format?
                I managed to destroy a drive by setting the block size too small.

Leave it at the default 2048bytes.

All I can suggest is formatting it again; under DOS or command line if possible.
                Married!!! despite every complaint they made about my paperwork, they finally gave in and issued our Red Books. (UK Consulate )

Comment

Originally posted by tentimes View Post
                  I want one! How do I get it?
                  Widget built in Bouncing KDE Ball
                  PC SPECS - Too many to list...

Orange San Francisco Member #6

Comment

So if i download and install Virtual PC, i can run other non-windows OS' within my Win7 environment with no effect on how my machine starts up and runs windows normally ?

Bit of a noob question i guess, best to ask tho
                    Running the London Marathon 2014 for MS-UK, need to raise 2000, please support my bid by texting LZAZ76 plus ?amount? to 70070 ! ... Or via https://www.justgiving.com/luke-zasikowski

Comment

Yup, should work fine
                      I grabbed a copy of VirtualBox and run Redhat Linux Enterprise in that so I can learn some stuff - works a charm
                      --
                      Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by Col View Post
                        Just old/expired NAND ram, probably. Certainly it hasn't been 'broken' by linux; anything which any operating system can do to the pen drive should be repairable by a full low-level format. If the drive doesn't work after that (or you can't even do that in the first place) the problem is duff hardware.

Comment

Working...
                        X